Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Well...why don't we try and forget about that little comment...so sorry again...

I picked up 3 chicks on a whim last spring and had no idea how much I was going to like them. And it was their personalities that won me over - so funny and social.

Yup - my experience exactly. LeafBlade, if you do decide to try them, I think you'll be pleased with their friendly behavior and heartiness (and yes, amusing behavior) well before you end up taking advantage of the good laying and meat qualities. The only chickens I have that always come running (hysterical in and of itself) without any promise of treats, but just because they are friendly and find me interesting. It's not for nothing that they all got the nickname "puppies" as babies. Great chickens.

- Ant Farm

I'm sorry if my post offended anyone. Turkens are very good meat birds. Does anyone raise them for this purpose?

We are, my dad got me started with them just for meat & eggs. Thats the main reason I started hatching his eggs. They are strange but will be just BEAUTIFUL fried golden brown with potatoes & gravy!!! Thats an ugly kind of yummmmmmm!
1f357.png

We are, my dad got me started with them just for meat & eggs. Thats the main reason I started hatching his eggs. They are strange but will be just BEAUTIFUL fried golden brown with potatoes & gravy!!! Thats an ugly kind of yummmmmmm!
1f357.png

Leiladax,
They dress quite well I've heard. I hope to try some when I have the space and time to raise some new meaties. Some NNs are actually very pretty, I have to say.

Oh, yes! They are beautiful fully dressed.
wink.png

I don't care how they look when they're alive as long as they look like THAT dressed! How do they taste?

DELICIOUS!! That's actually why I started raising them. My local poultry farm that I have always bought my eating chickens from has Naked Necks sometimes, and Cornish crosses when they don't have/can't get Naked Neck chicks to start with. DRASTIC difference in taste - not only in the meat but also in the skin - to me, she you roast it, it tastes like you deep fried it... I decided that if I would raise meat birds, they'd be Naked Necks or NN crosses.

MMMMMMMmmmmmmmm...

- Ant Farm

Last edited:
I don't care how they look when they're alive as long as they look like THAT dressed! How do they taste?

Fantastic! The skin crisps up better on NNs than any other breed I've eaten, and their meat is wonderfully flavorful. The guy photographed above was about 18-20 weeks old when I butchered and prepared him. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of meat on that carcass and the depth of flavor.

Back
Top Bottom