Naked Neck/Turken Thread

I somehow can't find the beauty in turkens or showgirls...they give me the creeps...sorry!
1f62c.png
1f62c.png
1f62c.png

For whatever it's worth, I originally got my Naked Necks for other reasons related to heat resistance and production (excellent size and taste of meat). I did not find them particularly attractive.

But now I find them so lovely! And they seem so poised and elegant to me (esp. the ones with almost completely clear necks). Maybe it's seeing them in person (vs. photos), maybe it's just a mother's love after raising them from chicks, but I actually find them more interesting to look at than my (quite lovely) Cream Legbars and the New Hampshires...

- Ant Farm

You story is outstanding in that many people have trouble getting eggs to hatch in an incubator that have not been damaged in any way. Broken eggs HATCHED WOW  !
That chick looks like it had a dye job. Brilliant yellow !

Lol...its my phone camera flash I guess. I cant believe it either that any hatched. That 15 I salvaged was out of a batch of 36 eggs that got dumped out of the incubator on day 17. Blows my mind because it was a horrible gruesome mess to clean up and try to save some. About half those 15 eggs were busted up with shell missing and a couple had a bit of blood on the exposed membrane. It was pure luck.

I somehow can't find the beauty in turkens or showgirls...they give me the creeps...sorry!
1f62c.png
1f62c.png
1f62c.png

And what is it in your personality that brings you to the NN thread? Do you feel a need to be creeped-out?

There are thousands of other threads on BYC that feature chickens with fully feathered necks and for that matter, many of them have feathers on their feet...I'm sure you would be welcomed at one of those.

They are weird looking creatures but for dual purpose I hope they end up being time worthy. From what I have read they are good heavy meat birds. My dad is the reason I started hatching them. He had no luck hatching chicks and ask me to put his eggs with my birds eggs. I think the naked necks are a bit harder to hatch but so far Ive managed. This is the first one I have grown attached to lol...geezzzz they are disturbing looking though.

LOL! When I told my family I'd chosen to hatch NNs they thought I was crazy. My son's response was, "But they're so ugly!" I had chosen them for their purported heartiness, heat tolerance, and personality traits, not their looks.....and then I fell completely in love with them. As a production breed for both meat and eggs they will NOT disappoint, but they also have the most amazing personalities and with a little time I suspect that like my family and myself, you will truly be able to see and appreciate their unique beauty. Now that I've had mine for about a year, they've become my favorite breed and I rejoice in each new hatch, the uniqueness of each bird, and yes....their beauty.

And their meat and skin are fantastic!

Hey Kassaundra, this is the baby that I had to keep in the cup. I finally took it out of the cup yesterday, its little belly finally set a hard scab so I figured Id chance it and took him out. This pic was after he got his little butt & belly washed and doctored. Ikept his belly doctored with peroxide and alcohol while he was in the cup (about 4 days). I sstill dont know if he will make it but the little thing has been eating and drinking, every time I look in the incubator I expect to find him dead but every time there it is looking at me like "what now"...I have another little buckeye that was in the same shape (hatched out of the broke eegg batch too) but it was not as severe a this one. So out of 15 broken eggs I incubated I got 2 naked necks and 9 others for a grand total of 11 which amazes me because I didnt think any would hatch or live.

That is great. If the little one has made it 4 days and is eating and drinking well I think you made it over the hump and looks good.

For whatever it's worth, I originally got my Naked Necks for other reasons related to heat resistance and production (excellent size and taste of meat). I did not find them particularly attractive.

But now I find them so lovely! And they seem so poised and elegant to me (esp. the ones with almost completely clear necks). Maybe it's seeing them in person (vs. photos), maybe it's just a mother's love after raising them from chicks, but I actually find them more interesting to look at than my (quite lovely) Cream Legbars and the New Hampshires...

- Ant Farm

it seems that only I chose NNs for their looks! I simply love them.

it seems that only I chose NNs for their looks! I simply love them.

Haha, I always liked the different, the unusual, but even so when ordering from a hatchery... I chose only one NN and a sexed pullet in case I did not like them or if they needed too much care or something.....

Should have made it 100% NN chick order if I were to be honest!

And to that rude comment by the other person..... I'm so used to their looks it sometimes comes as a shock when someone makes less than favorable comment. I just forgot they are "supposed" to be ugly.. they really aren't.

Last edited:
I also like different and unusual...naked neck, beards, feathered legs, crests, rumpless...give me them all!

ETA: I don't really like the extra toe on some of the exotics, but it would be in poor taste to go over to the silkie thread and post that there.
tongue.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom