Naked Neck/Turken Thread

I just had my first black naked neck hatch last night and I had to help another this morning and that little chick is in a cup in the incubator now cause he wasnt fully absorbed as far a yolk, I hope it lives, it was really badly broken from the cat dumping over my incubator on day 17...so these are little salvage chicks but so far all but 2 have hatched out of the 15 I saved.

Good job on saving them, hope your little early bird makes it, the earliest I've had success w/ has only been about 12 ish hours early. And that was w/ intensive care for over a week and added care for another week.

I just had my first black naked neck hatch last night and I had to help another this morning and that little chick is in a cup in the incubator now cause he wasnt fully absorbed as far a yolk, I hope it lives, it was really badly broken from the cat dumping over my incubator on day 17...so these are little salvage chicks but so far all but 2 have hatched out of the 15 I saved.

fl.gif
Keeping my fingers crossed for both that little chick, and the others that haven't hatched.
fl.gif

We went to the local poultry show today and I must say that I was disappointed to see absolutely no NN Turkens entered into the competition, or even for sale. They really are one of the absolute best breeds for this environment, and so under-appreciated. If I ever manage to breed one close enough to standard I may just have to enter it in a show...just to help spread awareness.

Its not...the early baby is still in the cup...he was not early though my daughters cat jumped up on the incubator and knocked it off and broke all the eggs but 15...the eggs were on day 17(day before lockdown)...only about 4 of the eggs were free of damage out of the 15 I locked down...this fellow in the pic came out of an egg that was missing about 1/3 of the shell and so did the one in the cup.11 of the eggs were badly broken but Ilocked em down anyway and so far 9 have hatched with 1 assist.(the one in the cup)

I saw that gray egg photo and it was beautiful!!! I want a gray egg layer! Can you post one of the purple egg??? That gray one was awesome!

today she laid another one! this is the best I got with my phone camera:

they are darker than that, a kind of pinkish towards plum colour.

In my area I have been to poultry shows and our state fair (which is the 6th largest in the country) and have never seen a Turken there either. Maybe it is because our birds are too busy "working" and don't have time for sows. Around here the shows are full of Seramas and Polish. cute, but not really good for meat or eggs like the NN!

today she laid another one! this is the best I got with my phone camera: they are darker than that, a kind of pinkish towards plum colour.
I can tell the shade especially in the tip of one in that first picture!!! That is awesome, I want a purple laying bird lol!!! The color you are describing and the shade on that one egg is almost a "heather" color. Congrats, they are beautiful!

I can tell the shade especially in the tip of one in that first picture!!! That is awesome, I want a purple laying bird lol!!! The color you are describing and the shade on that one egg is almost a "heather" color. Congrats, they are beautiful!

I get it from the chicken I paid 2 eur only at age of 5 week, lol. I have no idea what cross she is. my other 2 NNs lay tinted eggs. another red has not started to lay yet.

Back
Top Bottom