Naked Neck/Turken Thread

thanks.

I am confused: if my NNs have 1 copy why they all are naked necks (no fully feathered)?

the colour chart says 2 blue birds will give blue and black birds. I have an araucana cockerel that came from a 100% blue flock.

I guess there is a whole science behind this.

Ah...yes...color genetics. Just when you finally have it all figured out, you hatch out chicks that defy your anticipated results. ;)

Actually, the chart says that two blue parents will result in 1-blue, 2-splash and 0-black.

Well The gene is dominate so you have a 25% chance of NN, 50% chance of Nn and another 25% nn, so straight math a 75% Of getting naked neck gene passed. But some animals consistently pass the same gene strands if you will and that skews the numbers.. you might be just getting super lucky on the breeding... breed enough you are bound to get feathered necks out of single gene plus single gene birds.

As too what’s in them, yep it can be a mixed bag. Since they are your birds it is up to you which way you want to take your breeding program. NN SOP, production, Minorca with Naked Necks, something else etc.

Happy hatching and keeping. :D

Well The gene is dominate so you have a 25% chance of NN, 50% chance of Nn and another 25% nn, so straight math a 75% Of getting naked neck gene passed. But some animals consistently pass the same gene strands if you will and that skews the numbers.. you might be just getting super lucky on the breeding... breed enough you are bound to get feathered necks out of single gene plus single gene birds.

As too what’s in them, yep it can be a mixed bag. Since they are your birds it is up to you which way you want to take your breeding program. NN SOP, production, Minorca with Naked Necks, something else etc.

Happy hatching and keeping. :D

thanks for the information.

I got my birds from a person who 6 years ago imported the eggs from germany. the eggs are white and the birds look somewhat like minorca. this person has been breeding naked necks from this source only and all the chicks have always hatched naked necks with bibs. none of them look like pure transylvanian.

P1010358.JPG
P1010356.JPG

Another thought, different countries have different standards of perfection... and there is more than one European Naked Neck breed.

Transylvanian Naked Neck
The German Poultry Assoc. Recognise naked necks in both single comb and rose comb in the following colour varieties:- S.C. black, white blue-laced, red, buff, cuckoo, wild brown, silver pencilled, millefleur or jubilee.

The Dutch Poultry Standards recognise Black, Cuckoo and White colour varieties of Bantam naked necks.
———
The French breed Cou Nu du Forez is a Naked Neck breed related to the Transylvanian Naked Neck. Has white skin instead of yellow. Lightly tinted eggs (180-200), dual purpose breed, red eras, single comb, whitish to yellowish legs, Cock : 3 to 3.5 kg ; hen : 2.3 to 2.8 kg, ... IIRC this breed is always white feathered... Google translated eyes as rosemary white... not sure what that is at all in our terms.
——-
The game breed Malagache From Malay though often cited as Naked Neck breed is open to some debate, they do loose Neck feathers the hotter the climate, but skin is different, true ones might and I am unsure on this, but might be caused by a different gene... this is one of those debate things, about person x having purer birds than person y which matters in the gamefowl world. So not sure what real research done... and how much is just people being jerks or confusing different gene combos like birds bred to have big pore skin and Na gene versus birds bred to have tight pore skin like we see in the utility European version. There could be multiple genes at work.
——-
Italian Naked Neck, or Collo nudo italiana, has white ears, yellow skin, yellow legs,
——
There is no consensus across Europe where the Na gene birds originated from... Africa, local mutation, and when introduced, I have seen some very old cultures cited as origin.

Based on the above I have been able to glean from the net, some folks probably have lines that are more like one European Standard or breed than the USA standard. Sort of cool rosecombs are allowed in Germany.
—-
There are game fowl Indian lines with Na gene, Mexican and American game fowl too. They go under different names... again debates on these birds on the Na Aseels I just don’t know.

——
There are African dual purpose breeds too. Village breeds.
——

My bad Na is proper gene notation btw.

thanks for the information.

I got my birds from a person who 6 years ago imported the eggs from germany. the eggs are white and the birds look somewhat like minorca. this person has been breeding naked necks from this source only and all the chicks have always hatched naked necks with bibs. none of them look like pure transylvanian.

View attachment 1193791 View attachment 1193792
Very nice looking birds. I have three (used to have 4 but that's a long story) that are true transylvania line. One of them has a big bib showing that she most likely carries just one gene instead of both. Transylvania just means that that's the region that strain is from. It has no bearing whatsoever on whether the bird carries single gene or double.
0812171352c.jpg

transylvania.jpg

Update on my turkens from my August hatch I only managed to get pics of two of the turkens in this pen
20171123_124609-1.jpg
20171123_124050-1.jpg
I love the color variations from this hatch but I am still struggling to determine which ones are roos, when I look at this pen I only see 2 out of 16 that I can definitely say are roos....... as much as I would love for that to be true I am sure it's not lol

A couple of my hatchery turkens that apears to be NN.... they were from March this year and are laying wellView attachment 1194130I now have 6 turken hens with one being from 2016 hatch. I am hoping at least two of the 4 that hatched in august turn out to be hens, we will see
These birds look great!! What hatchery did you get them from? I'm sure you've mentioned before but I have a horrible memory...

Back
Top Bottom