Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Feb 25, 2010.

1. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Poleneck is a great name, bemba........much better than Neckpole or PoloNeck! With NakedFleche (well one only, as yet) I have a taste for silly names.

Those are very pretty birds, too.The ankle fluff on the first bird is particularly attractive.

2. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    bemba he he he fantasy looking chickens especially number one picture.[​IMG]

3. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

You have some beautiful birds.This breeding season I plan to do a polish X naked neck cross with the frizzle gene added.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  4. bemba

bemba Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    Gee thanks guys :)) The poleneck is currently raising 3 Chinese goslings, the buff girl is hatching peafowl eggs as we speak and the middle hen is halfway through incubation on guinea fowl eggs. They are my super clucky team!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here are a couple more NN's, I sold them not so long ago.....
    [​IMG]
    This pullet is now a hen, I mated her to a pure silkie and have 11 chicks, but unfortunately not one was frizzle NN :( Better luck next hatch! I really love the silkie black skin NN's but with non silkie feathering.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  5. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    [​IMG]
    My little bantam pullet, Streeker. She just got done being blow dried after her bath.

6. flower

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    I think that you need more than one generation for what your want. Mate the black skinned birds back to a NN. Black skin is dominate gene but frizzel is recessive ?

Anyway you have some kind of unusual flock and broodies. So far I have not had any luck with a full broodie. If I move them they tend to give up. But your broodie boxes have given me an idea to start putting little boxes or as in your pictures "on the ground enviroments" Right now all of their boxes are elevated for high roosting. Even the silkies climb ladders.

7. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    [​IMG]
    And her future boyfriend! Bantam frizzled cochin! So frizzled, booted naked necks

8. bemba

bemba Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    Black skin is sex linked and frizzle is dominant, Thats why i used the silkie rooster over the pink skinned NN ...... all the girls are black skinned and boys are pink!
    My chickens go broody all over the place I just move them at night to where I want them and I have 95% sucess rate with them staying put, alot of the older hens are use to it and will tolerate a move during the day.

9. flower

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    Interesting stuff from kev I do not think that he will mind reposting as it might save him from re-commenting.

Originally Posted by Kev

Excellent observation! "dark skin is sex linked" does get passed around but really, it's missing out on important details. Dark skin is not sex linked. That's exactly why you had dark skin in both sexes... that's to be expected because dark skin inherits in a simple dominant manner.

One very important factor are other genes- one being Id, it inhibits skin pigmentation in the skin. It's the cause of yellow or white legs on birds without barring. This gene will variably repress the dark skin gene. Id is also sex linked.... so a mating of a dark skin with a bird having the Id gene will seem to prove dark skin is sex linked but that's only an illusion because it's the Id gene doing that work.

A dark skin rooster bred with a hen with Id will seem to produce dark skinned daughters and light- light-ish skinned sons. (this will seem to confirm dark skin being sex linked but it's really the Id gene that's sex linked and repressing the skin color in the sons)

A dark skin rooster bred with a hen without Id will produce dark skins in both sexes. Sex linked theory of dark skin simply disproven.

10. flower

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    Lisa DDD We miss you ! Are too busy to post pictures of your flock ?? Ahh well we have neat stuff from Kass and Bemba !

I am working on informing people about the wonderful attributes of NNs but ..........not working to hard as No. 1 I have other stuff to do and No 2 too popular may create problems as in too crowded and too ordinary and too EXPENSIVE .

NAVA I miss you also. My birdies from you are wonderful, healthy, big, good layers and just beautiful. [​IMG] Too bad I lost my male and also gave one away. But alas there are usually more than enough males in the chicken world and I have four which is three more than I need even though none are NN. I will have some [​IMG] NN males eventually thought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by