Naked Neck/Turken Thread

My guess is they're splash birds "not pure for solid black" with the brown areas being "color leaks". Common result of a cross between black and colored chickens.

There isn't really a gene for solid blacks, more like two main dominant genes that turn them mostly black and with a couple 'helper genes' that help solidify them into solid black chickens. If the chicken is missing one or not pure for one or more of those 'helper genes' they start to show those areas of brown(or white).

Without the blue/splash they would have been black with slightly darker brown on those same areas. The boy on right in the first pic and left in second pic are blue versions of these birds.

If they were bred with a black or any non-black chicken such as regular partridge, all of the chicks would be blue as splashes are pure for the blue gene. Bred with a blue, there will be half blue and half splashes. Bred with another splash, all the chicks would turn out splash...

Gonna be a colorful flock before long! :)

Yes, please show us pics. of any odd coloured birds.

This little girl is developing odd coloured feathers....sort of creamish blue with light brown feather edges. Feet yellowish, beak yellow with a brown spot on one side(!) and bright green eyes. What colour is she Kev? (Or anyone else who might know).

I haven't another bird with the same colouring, but the non NN cockerel on the left has a similar feather pattern, though a bluer colouring.

Any help with what colours will emerge in future generations would be extremely welcome.

Hi everybody im going to be new to this thread as of january. Im going to have some show quality white bantam turkens for my 3rd 4-H year im very exited. I do have one question though. When i order my chicks should i get a rooster? Im going to get 3. i think that a rooster will tear up the hens and make them less disirable for the show but i kinda what to breed them. Do you think a rooster will tear up the hens? thanks

Congrats and most excellent pick! You know we will want pictures. :)

It kind of depends on the rooster and conditions. Some roosters are over active and will mess up the hens. Some are such gentlemen they don't even move a feather on the hens... Most are somewhere in between.

One problem that does happen sometimes is a young rooster by being so young and 'rough' might hurt the pullet's necks as their skin can be very thin when young... which would be quite a problem if it happens close to a show.

Some exhibitors keep their sexes separate to keep all of them in condition for shows.. so if you can keep the rooster separate from the hens and allow them occasional visits for fertile eggs, that would work out great for both showing and breeding.

Thank you again, Kev. A mine of information, as always....and a rainbow mix it will be then here on the smallholding.

I did post pics. of these chicks a while back, flower, but Kev thought that an adult hen (to the left in the pics. in post 5495) was a dun, and not these little guys.

I have a large number of chickens now....X....where X is some number between 40 and 70 as my old maths teacher would say.....far too many for our egg needs!

Easter eggers......if you want to show your NNs,I agree with flower. You could, however, keep the adolescent rooster separate before you show your birds,,,,,,the young roosters are bundles of wattles, combs and testosterone and will try to mate with anything. Being young and inexperienced they will also be rough with the hens and can make a bit of a mess of them. I have quite a few roosters ( Y where Y is a fraction of X and is between 10 and 15, to continue on the maths theme), of which I have 5 adult birds. The 'favoured' hens wear poultry saddles to prevent rooster damage, but the less favoured are OK.

Once you have done your showing and when you want to start hatching, introduce Mr Testosterone.More than one rooster can lead to fights, so just the one. I'm lucky in that my boys all live peacefully by virtue of having enough space to keep away from each other and the right temperaments.

Just a final word on roosters, Easter egger, some can be aggressive to folk as well as each other. Naked Neck roosters tend to be non-aggressive, though mine have pretty huge spurs.I also have Brahma roosters....massive, but too lazy and laid back to fight, and a La Flèche....feathers black as soot and with one inch long horns for a comb.....but a complete coward.

With all the projects going on there should be some interesting birds out and about next year.

Congrats on getting some NN...I haven't seen the bantams. Bet they are fun..and what a fun project for your child. I am not sure about the roosters..I can't have any. :( Someone will come on and give you an idea.

The bantams are amazing! So sweet and loving and of course, adorable!
love.gif

Rooster of PGs "La Flèche....feathers black as soot and with one inch long horns for a comb.....but a complete coward." quote

Maybe be a coward or his intincts tell him that fighting just is not worth the mess it creates.
lol.png

One of my fav hens, dad is a partridge silkie and mum is a wheaten NN

Full sister to the first hen....

Polish x NNx (poleneck??)

Father of the poleneck.... (sorry terrible picture)

One of my fav hens, dad is a partridge silkie and mum is a wheaten NN

Full sister to the first hen....

Polish x NNx (poleneck??)

Father of the poleneck.... (sorry terrible picture)
I love your birds! Especially the first one pictured. Very pretty, oh, and that splash right there. :)

Bemba, love your birds, that first girl is beautiful, and that roo looks like the guy did the laundry and had an accident w/ the bleach bottle! lol lol lol

Back
Top Bottom