Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Feb 25, 2010.

1. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Yes, that is why I was wondering how they can be so naked, yet still be so hardy?

My girls (and boy) are doing really well so far. Not any colder than the feathered necked birds. They continue to lay! Hatched one more barred NN yesterday :) Along with a bantam ameraucana.

2. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

He/she is my favorite.

3. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    According to one story about NN development is that they were raised in northeaster Europe to be good all purpose poultry which were easier to harvest. And since they were raised in a colder climate they are definetly cold hardy. But there stories and there are more stories but so far I like the one which tells me that NNs are good cold hardy all purpose domesticated birds.

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Transylvania is known for quite hard winters as well as for a certain blood-drinking noctophile. (Some stories give their roots as as game birds in Madagascar, though). They ARE, though, very cold hardy. Mine shoot out of the pen in the morning in snowy weather and seem less troubled by the cold than some of my well covered birds.The naked bits take on a very dark red colour in the cold.

Georgia Boy I love that dark-skinned NN.......huge big black eyes.

My one-wattled bird crowed impressively yesterday....so at least HE thinks he is male.

Very few of my birds are laying right now, but we have had a ridiculous amount of rain and the days are very short....roll on the weather that passes for summer here.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  5. flower

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    PG since BBCm is my home page I've been reading about the UK floods and wondering how you faired ?

We may never know the true history of the breed called NN but I bet it just evolved over time as birds were transported over-land by adventurous travelers. Just as much everything else evolves.

Look again at the posts, The little black skinned naked bird belong to georgiaboy.......... cynthia was just posting a remark !

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Duly corrected, Flower. Lovely bird, whoever it is owned by!

As I live on a mountain side (albeit mere pimples in comparison with the Rockies!), Noah will need to be active again if the floods reach us...though our little lane at the bottom of our drive was welly high with water and one field resembled a lake due to a stream bursting its bank. There has been a lot of home flooding, though in southern England, and more rain is forecast to come today.

Straight back on topic... my NNs seem to have VERY waterproof feathers and aren't troubled by the rain, either. (No Silkie or Frizzle types at my place, though).

7. flower

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    Your residence sounds lovely, as per your postings including those with photos. And your birds usually look happy and healthy even the weird ones. [​IMG]
    It. seems years since I experienced rain. I think it was just two or three years since we had some rain here . But someday.........

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Does anyone know exactly why they are cold hardy?

I know they are said to be. They are raised here in Canada with no added heat, so obviously they are. I am just curious how... :p

They definitely are easier to process. My boys are on the smaller side though... Muscle and bones. I have some NN x BR that all have naked necks, so we'll see if this beefs them up a bit.

9. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    A few pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Jaxom He is growing.

[​IMG]
    Thing 1

[​IMG]
    Thing 2

[​IMG]
    Mensa

10. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    I have a sister to Mensa that looks exactly like her.
    I wished I knew what the mother was so I could get more like that color. What color do you call it?

Quote:​

Quote:​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by