Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I have no idea except beautiful! lol lol

White sprinkled w/ pepper and cinnimon.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    I say Salmon, but I don't think it really is.
    Just reminds me a little of the color of a Salmon Faverolle hen though. (No genetics experts please don't jump on me for that, I said a "little like").

3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Hope I'm not jumping...?

Not a bad guess, actually. I forget what exactly salmon genetics are.. silver on wheaten and??? Mensa is silver on probably wheaten plus Co (columbian) and probably some gold melanizer genes.

If melanizers were absent, she would be very white in the white areas.

The Co gene tries to restrict the black pigments to the neck, tail and primaries, but it's not rare for black to show elsewhere on body especially if the bird is not pure for Co.

Salmon does not have Co, that is why salmon roosters aren't solid colored on their bodies and have duckwings. The hens can seem to be but it's because they are wheaten which naturally makes the bodies much lighter on hens plus the silver lightens them up a little bit.

4. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    You're welcome to jump in. Thanks for the explaination of the coloring. I don't totally understand all the Co and stuff but when you say close that is good enough for me.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  5. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Excellent, glad I could help.

Super simple answer.. Mensa has one main difference between her color and salmon- the Co gene.

The Co gene does not like black pigments being on the main body so it 'removes' the black breasts and black detailing on the back and main wings of roosters. On hens it reduces the amount of 'black detailing' on the back, breast. Yet it doesn't do much to the black on tails and necks so the end result are birds largely solid colored buff or white on the body with black on tails and necks. Breed examples are Light and Buff Brahmas, Columbian Rocks, RIR.

Salmon doesn't have the Co to be a nosy busybody removing all the black from the bodies.

Co is one of the 'very strong genes'- it's a dominant gene with a clear effect on plumage patterning.

6. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Got pictures of my girl today, she is getting big!
    I think she's a pretty girl. :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    She got quite red from me handling her.
    [​IMG]
    She is so mild mannered! Is everyone else experiencing this with the NN's in general?
    If she lays the size of egg she came from, and frequently through out the year, I will
    be getting more of these.

7. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I am back online and everyone survived the long move! I still need a better setup here but managing with what we have now. My chickens got to see their first snow the other day.! Most were not happy campers! LOL I will have to try to get some pictures this weekend.

8. blueeyeddemon

blueeyeddemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2012
    South Texas
    Is it irregular for Turken hens to go broody? My hen went broody yesterday with 6 eggs under her :)

9. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    No they can be broody and are good mothers.

10. blueeyeddemon

blueeyeddemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2012
    South Texas
    Thank you! She went broody and I didn't know what to make of it :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by