Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Feb 25, 2010.

1. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    Georgia Boy how high did those babies fly to roost ? I think that it is so funny to see juvies fly. I always feel like rooting for them ![​IMG]

2. Ghostbelly

Ghostbelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Should i get a turkhen? are they nice? are they broody? do they lay alot of eggs?

3. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Georgiaboy..... Those chicks are so cute and I will be very jealous if you get an all white one!!!! [​IMG] I have not had an all white NN yet!! I did have some white Fav's pop out of my salmon's though so it could be very possible you could get a white NN from them. The hen & roo are looking great! I love Louise's beard.

4. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I think everyone should have a turken! [​IMG] I think it really depends on what the NN's might be crossed with but all of my NN's have been very nice and are great layers. They can go broody, some more than others.

5. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    gorgeous birds! what's the "problem" with the girls as for color? btw glad your move went well.

6. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    My NN currently are laying, not laying or on/off... about half of them are pullets, many have not yet laid their first eggs though. It seems the bantams are starting up- these are overall consistent layers/setters. It was very warm (80F range.. Google says that's 26 in C)..but last couple days have been much cooler with on/off rain with nights now much colder- 40s(4C) range. Sunrise 6:37, sunset 4:40. No heating, in fact the coops/runs are rather open- for example some are chainlink dog runs with cover on top and down the sides a couple feet to shelter when they are roosting at night. The only special effort is make sure they have feed with some scratch mixed in at all times when it's colder or wetter...

7. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Beautiful birds. You're joining the Crested NN club huh?

8. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California

9. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    X2! Here's a link to youtube vid of hen from blue laced red project pullet with peachicks she hatched and raised.. Good mom, tame enough to trust me with her babies..

10. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Thanks! The girls are still getting too much black in them. I was thinking about pairing Sargent with this girl here. It will need to wait a bit though until I get a better set up here.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by