Naked Neck/Turken Thread

@SlipsWife you absolutely will do no damage breeding NN to NN even the barest necked ones. You chose what to breed by what you want to get. If you want barest necks breed only those.

Thank you! We have 2 NN from Cackle, one has a very naked neck, which we prefer, and the other has a large 'bib'. Is that from breeding the necked neck trait with a non-necked neck?

Forgot a couple tidbits, sorry. Let's say bowtie for the birds pure for the NN and bibbed for birds not pure for NN. The pictures you show are a classic example of bowtie vs bibbed. It's visible even before the chicks are dried off.. making selection extremely easy.

For reasons unknown to me, a very high percentage of hatchery stock have bibs. Bascially it's not a problem as for hatching chicks with NN as bib to bib will still produce 75% NN chicks. This percentage will be higher if a fair number of breeders are bowtied(not to be confusing- this is for a free breeding mixed flock of both bowties and bibs like hatchery breeding stock are).

Bowtie bred to ANY hen(NN or not)- 100% NN chicks. However, bowtie bred to non-NN gives all bibs.

Bowtie x bowtie- 100% bowties.

Bowtie x bib- half bowties half bibs.

Bib x bib- 25% bowties, 50% bibs, 25% culls, uh I mean, fuzzy necks....

Bib x not NN hen- half bibs, half not NN.

Sex of the parent does not matter, example NN roo over rock hen or vice versa.

So you can't tell if the bibs are "crosses" or from a NN flock with both bowtie and bibs.

I agree no harm in breeding very naked to very naked. It's totally up to you how to breed them- to bib or not to bib.... ;)

I do use bibbed birds, mainly because most of my birds are projects.. for example trying to increase or maintain heavy size and large eggs in my large fowl NN line. If a hen is bigger or lays bigger eggs than a bowtie hen, I use the bibbed hen in this case.

Forgot a couple tidbits, sorry. Let's say bowtie for the birds pure for the NN and bibbed for birds not pure for NN. The pictures you show are a classic example of bowtie vs bibbed. It's visible even before the chicks are dried off.. making selection extremely easy.

For reasons unknown to me, a very high percentage of hatchery stock have bibs. Bascially it's not a problem as for hatching chicks with NN as bib to bib will still produce 75% NN chicks. This percentage will be higher if a fair number of breeders are bowtied(not to be confusing- this is for a free breeding mixed flock of both bowties and bibs like hatchery breeding stock are).

Bowtie bred to ANY hen(NN or not)- 100% NN chicks. However, bowtie bred to non-NN gives all bibs.

Bowtie x bowtie- 100% bowties.

Bowtie x bib- half bowties half bibs.

Bib x bib- 25% bowties, 50% bibs, 25% culls, uh I mean, fuzzy necks....

Bib x not NN hen- half bibs, half not NN.

Sex of the parent does not matter, example NN roo over rock hen or vice versa.

So you can't tell if the bibs are "crosses" or from a NN flock with both bowtie and bibs.

I agree no harm in breeding very naked to very naked. It's totally up to you how to breed them- to bib or not to bib.... ;)

I do use bibbed birds, mainly because most of my birds are projects.. for example trying to increase or maintain heavy size and large eggs in my large fowl NN line. If a hen is bigger or lays bigger eggs than a bowtie hen, I use the bibbed hen in this case.
So does my black NN appear bibbed or bowtie? I have a few in the new group that look like they are going to have beards, they have fluff/feathers under their bottom beaks sticking out on both sides. I know when they feather out it might not be there but if it is, it will be hard to get use to.
big_smile.png

Thank you for the break down!

I'm considering NNs. How are they in temperament? I like all my chickens to be docile since they are my pets.

Also, I realise this is a bit off-topic, but are Showgirls the cross with a NN and a silkie?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

So does my black NN appear bibbed or bowtie? I have a few in the new group that look like they are going to have beards, they have fluff/feathers under their bottom beaks sticking out on both sides. I know when they feather out it might not be there but if it is, it will be hard to get use to.
big_smile.png

Thank you for the break down!

Yes she is. If you can clearly, immediately see the front of neck and basically a V front shirt appearance(can see the crop easily when full) below the feathered area it's a bowtie. If only occasionally or only see not all that much of the front neck below the feathered area, it's a bib.

Bowtie- only couple feathers on each side of neck, easy to see his crop:

Bibbed, can't see front of neck easily, you see only the back of neck that easily.

Day olds.. middle and right are bowties- fuzzy patch on neck is small, but also easy tell are the naked spot between eye and beak, other areas behind eye, also when handled they have larger bare areas elsewhere on body.

Bibbed chick on left has a fully fuzzy face, patch on neck is larger. Their bodies are also fuzzier with smaller naked patches.

Without handling it's the bare patch between eye and beak that's a big and easy tell.

Hatchery stock never produce bearded birds as far as I know. Bibbed and non bearded chicks have a fuzzy face like that chick on left They lose a lot of that fuzz as they grow, however sometimes they end up with areas of tiny feathers on the 'cheeks'.

It's been a while a bearded NN chick has been posted here.. often the muffs are pretty distinct, some also have a beard.

Back
Top Bottom