Naked Neck/Turken Thread

I have a question about feathered legs. If I have one parent that has them and other one that hasn't, am I going to get some chicks without them and how many? Thanks

I have a question about feathered legs. If I have one parent that has them and other one that hasn't, am I going to get some chicks without them and how many? Thanks
pop.gif

Feathered legs (gene symbol Pti) is an incompletely dominant gene. If, for example, dad is Pti/Pti (fully feather legged) and mom is pti/pti (clean legged), 100% of chicks will be Pti/pti. They will all be feather legged, but not as heavily as dad. Now, if you breed these Pti/pti offspring (medium or lightly feathered legs) back to a pti/pti (clean legged) bird, you should get 50% Pti/pti (light featherleg) and 50% pti/pti (clean legged) offspring. Unfortunately the phenotype of Pti can be tricky to remove and will often echo for a couple of generations, so even the pti/pti chicks can have very lightly feathered legs, and while the second generation Pti/ptis will still be noticably feather legged, it won't be as heavy as the first generation Pti/ptis.

There are three main leg feathering genes, from memory two are dominant and one recessive. Also the expression is very variable for all three. This is why it is SO hard to totally remove leg feathering after a cross.

Feathered legs (gene symbol Pti) is an incompletely dominant gene. If, for example, dad is Pti/Pti (fully feather legged) and mom is pti/pti (clean legged), 100% of chicks will be Pti/pti. They will all be feather legged, but not as heavily as dad. Now, if you breed these Pti/pti offspring (medium or lightly feathered legs) back to a pti/pti (clean legged) bird, you should get 50% Pti/pti (light featherleg) and 50% pti/pti (clean legged) offspring. Unfortunately the phenotype of Pti can be tricky to remove and will often echo for a couple of generations, so even the pti/pti chicks can have very lightly feathered legs, and while the second generation Pti/ptis will still be noticably feather legged, it won't be as heavy as the first generation Pti/ptis.

There are three main leg feathering genes,  from memory two are dominant and one recessive.  Also the expression is very variable for all three.  This is why it is SO hard to totally remove leg feathering after a cross.

Thank you so much for answers. They helped me a lot. So me and my grandma made a horrible mistake by leaving the rooster that has feathered legs ( we don't like it, but he was the biggest this year and beautiful) and he is also the only one that we left. One thing confuses me about him, he has cochiny feathered legs, huge, but he had only mom that had very lightly feathered feet, only few feathers. Father had no and he came from line that doesn't have it.

At least I have my rooster here at home that doesn't have feathered feet and three hens that also don't have it. Problem is they don't lay very good and are old so it will be hard to collect eggs for hatching. Btw, how old can eggs be to hatch?

That is way it almost always turns out... the best pick having something you really don't like.....

If you and your grandma really want to get rid of leg feathering, check all chicks legs right at hatch. Mark or get rid of those that show any fluff on the leg, even if there is just one fluff on the leg. Those definitely have at least one of the leg feather genes. Sometimes they grow up and seem to be clean leg.. but then they throw more feather leg chicks, very annoying.

However some totally clean leg chicks will grow up and show a few leg feathers.. also very annoying especially if it turns out to be the biggest or the best layer..... lol

It's fine to use him, but it can get out of control very fast if not careful.. for example, a "not pure" feather leg bred with the same will throw well over half chicks with varying amounts of leg feathering, from little to a good amount all way down to the toes etc.

As for eggs, they are still hatchable for 2 weeks, 3 weeks is possible but expect a fair amount of deaths in those. Their hatchability is much improved if the eggs are stored in a cool place and turned once daily. If they are kept warm/not turned at all, the hatch rate/age goes down very fast.

Congrats on being blessed!  ;)

She probably is mixed with something 'nervous/flighty' and raised hands off. 

I think it's pretty much a matter of time plus food.  Not giving free choice feed helps also giving extra yummy treats.   If you're giving free choice feed, that's allright for now.. she needs less stress as possible.  

If there are other hens bossing her around, that can keep a shy one aloof for a little while longer.

Sometimes a wild chick suddenly calms down once they start laying.

Thanks for the tips! I've been giving her space and just working in the garden near her, talking and feeding the other chickens and generally trying not to make too much eye contact with her as that gets her very nervous!
I have a motley crew of a polish, barred rock and two seramas ( who stay in their own area). The barred rock is boss and she hasn't bothered the NN but the polish has decided that she won't be on the bottom of the pecking order and chases the NN around, though the polish is really just a sissy (thus her name Sissy!) and if the NN ever pecked her she'd completely back down.
They like preening in the morning all together on the roost. Hopefully with some time and tempting treats as you say, she'll not run away when I look at her!!

@DesertChic So, is Ozzy the dominant one out of bunch?

Not quite, but he's pretty close to the top of the pecking order. Once I added the older "Fast Five" chicks the games kicked into high gear and right now Zazzle is in first with Ozzy and Jagger tied for second. I watch their sparring matches sometimes to see who's going to win, but I'm betting in the long run that Jagger will fall in the ranking...he's too flighty. I just don't know whether Ozzy will take the lead from Zazzle or not. He's a pretty tenacious little bugger. Tonight I found him perched on the top of the heat light stand....four feet off the ground, with nothing nearby to launch from. I've no idea how he got that high, but he seemed pretty darn proud of himself. So proud, in fact, that he then decided to take my head for a test drive. I'm just thankful he didn't poop on me.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom