Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Thanks for the tips! I've been giving her space and just working in the garden near her, talking and feeding the other chickens and generally trying not to make too much eye contact with her as that gets her very nervous!
I have a motley crew of a polish, barred rock and two seramas ( who stay in their own area). The barred rock is boss and she hasn't bothered the NN but the polish has decided that she won't be on the bottom of the pecking order and chases the NN around, though the polish is really just a sissy (thus her name Sissy!) and if the NN ever pecked her she'd completely back down.
They like preening in the morning all together on the roost. Hopefully with some time and tempting treats as you say, she'll not run away when I look at her!!

That's funny! Back when I had 100+ peafowl, some of the birds I bought were SO shy and nervous, they would be literally panicking- jumping around, beating their wings on the sides of the pen and hitting the roof if I so much as stood outside their pen.. after weeks of just ignoring them like they didn't matter/existed they usually calmed down but many still freaked out whenever I had to enter their pen to do the food/water. When they finally learn how yummy cat food was, I started to toss handfuls in their pen and walk on.. eventually I'd toss some but stay outside their pen.. let them work up the courage to walk over and snatch some of it. Eventually they came to accept me. Seems you've hit on a similar method of working on her. I think this will work well.. but be prepared she may remain a little aloof, especially if she has a nervous breed in her ancestry. Some breeds are naturally nervous and do not calm easily.

Not quite, but he's pretty close to the top of the pecking order. Once I added the older "Fast Five" chicks the games kicked into high gear and right now Zazzle is in first with Ozzy and Jagger tied for second. I watch their sparring matches sometimes to see who's going to win, but I'm betting in the long run that Jagger will fall in the ranking...he's too flighty. I just don't know whether Ozzy will take the lead from Zazzle or not. He's a pretty tenacious little bugger. Tonight I found him perched on the top of the heat light stand....four feet off the ground, with nothing nearby to launch from. I've no idea how he got that high, but he seemed pretty darn proud of himself. So proud, in fact, that he then decided to take my head for a test drive. I'm just thankful he didn't poop on me.
big_smile.png

Oh, I've got a couple just like that. Good luck!
lol.png

If you can believe it, I was actually pondering making them an offer of paying them the 100 chick price for only 50 chicks. I think I may be a little crazy...
th.gif

- Ant Farm

Look at it as long term investment...? I mean, people are paying LOTS for the showbirds or rare breeds, new imports etc.... but in this case it's utilitarian... Maybe see if they are willing to talk a bit on the phone or if too busy, by email get more feedback if their stock would be a fit for your program....

Look at it as long term investment...? I mean, people are paying LOTS for the showbirds or rare breeds, new imports etc.... but in this case it's utilitarian... Maybe see if they are willing to talk a bit on the phone or if too busy, by email get more feedback if their stock would be a fit for your program....

I was thinking the same thing - I may do just that. Or, I have family in Atlanta - maybe I could time a trip to pick them up in person on the way home one trip!

- Ant Farm

If you can believe it, I was actually pondering making them an offer of paying them the 100 chick price for only 50 chicks. I think I may be a little crazy...
th.gif

- Ant Farm

I was thinking the same thing - I may do just that. Or, I have family in Atlanta - maybe I could time a trip to pick them up in person on the way home one trip!

- Ant Farm

LOL! We're nothing but a group of enablers!
lau.gif

Where's the 12-step program for chicken lovers?
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom