Naked Neck/Turken Thread

@Kev I have a lavender genetics question.

My single Lavender Ameraucana is looking like he'll be a cockerel (I named him - Goodwin). I would like to cross him in with my NNs to add not only the blue egg gene, but also pea comb-type feather pattern.

I find myself confused by the fact that technically these are black birds when thinking of the potential results.

Can you advise crossings? Current thoughts are to cross him with Trinity (black NN with NN phenotype, large bird), maybe Mystique (dark partridge with "gypsy" face [sorry, I don't know the non-offensive term for that], Nn phenotype, large bird), and maybe Sweetie (black tail buff, NN phenotype, large bird). I'm also wondering about crossing him with the two Nn Aloha NNs.

What can I expect? Does this sound reasonable? (I realize it will be F2 onward where I will see any lavender phenotypes, etc.)

- Ant Farm

caf.gif
Watching closely for responses...ready to learn. (And jealous that you have a lavender bird to breed with.
wink.png
)

Last edited:
Lavender is recessive. You have to have two copies of lavender to get lavender birds. If you breed a lavender to another color that does not carry lavender, you will not get any lavender chicks. For example if you breed a lavender to a homozygous black bird, you will get 100% black chickens.

If you take those offspring and breed them, you will get 25% lavender birds. I'm not a big fan of inbreeding though, so I don't think that is the way to produce a flock of lavenders.

Oh, I know all that. I was just asking Kev, as a genetics guru, about what would happen in F1 BECAUSE lav is recessive. Without lav/lav, Goodwin would be a black bird, but there are many different genes the create black color/feathers, and I was wondering what I would get in F1, on my way to F2. (How the "black" from Goodwin mixed with the coloring of the hen might depend on the underlying genetics.)

I'm mainly aiming to get the pea comb and blue egg gene into my NNs, but lav wafting around in the background in my flock would be a bonus.

There was a long discussion about inbreeding on another of the threads I follow. One doesn't want to do it repeatedly (as you concentrate undesirable recessive traits), but one or two generations is ok. It's not like other animals.

- Ant Farm

my bcm hen with wry tail is extremely good layer and I hatched 3 chicks from her eggs. that's why I will keep the cockerel, his daughters will be good layers, too (should be).
I am surprised to hear that her eggs are normal. I had a legbar hen with wry tail and her eggs were an irregular shape and the shell was gritty. Sadly one of her eggs hatched out a chick with wry tail and her eggs are the same. Crocked gritty but plentiful.

I am surprised to hear that her eggs are normal. I had a legbar hen with wry tail and her eggs were an irregular shape and the shell was gritty. Sadly one of her eggs hatched out a chick with wry tail and her eggs are the same. Crocked gritty but plentiful.

I have 3 chicks from this hen, all normal so far (hatched on april 2nd and 12th). I don't know which one (or all of them) pecked my beautiful Nn pullet
barnie.gif
I hope she will get well soon. the wound on her neck already looks better but she is scared and shaking.

@Fire Ant Farm

Breeding lavender yo reds and buffs will dilute the gold to a straw color. I learned this early when I had some lavender Ameraucdbas. Got rid of them because they were just a little oversized bantams. Haven't lucked out and found anymore lavender anything that I can afford.

Okay some pictures of some of the girls that I took today.

This is my young black Pullet. Full sister to the black cockerel above.

Here is a beautiful Pullet. Blue Birchen. Her mans was a Blue Red hen.

Here is what supposed to be a sex link Pullet. This one is making me think a cockerel instead. Any opinions on it?

Her mother was a Silver NN. Looks a lot like a Brien Leghorn hen except being Naked Necked. Dad was a mostly red rooster but had some mottling on wings and breast.

I hope you can see the colors in these. The photos turned out quite dark. I edited these to be a little lighter so you could see the patterns and right colors.

Last edited:
I just wanted to put this out there since I've noticed a lot of people are trying to get naked necks with pea combs. I can ship fertile eggs that are Nn (50% naked neck). Eggs are green and chicks should have a pea comb and also produce green or blue eggs. Price for a dozen (plus lots of extras) and shipping is $35.

Can I give it a try? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I thik it depends on what you want to get. If you want pure lavender turkens, you should cross him with pure black hens.

If you crossed him with Mystique, I think you would get something like black copper in F1, and in F2 part of them should be lavender copper- black should be replaced with laveder. Another option from this cross that just crossed on my mind is to get something like blue partridge only the blue part being lavender but it should be very hard to get since you would be playing with two recessive genes. ( I'm judt thinking out loud, not sure that this last colour is "doable")

If you crossed him with Sweetie, I think you would get lavender tailed buff.

Oh and don't forget, all of this would happen in F2 generation, F1 will look just like F2 bit with black replacing lavender.

Oh and the rooster is beautiful. Ameraucanas are special for me, especially because I can't get them. Nobody in Croatia or near Croatia breeds or has them. Maybe in Germany, but don't know.

Pretty good!
thumbsup.gif

Sweetie with lavender would be one of several color patterns called Isabel. Isabel is labeled to birds that are buff lavender, lavender partridge, basically almost any non solid lavender, with the big exception of lavender mille fleurs being called Porcelains.

Lavender very clearly dilutes buff, btw.. unlike with blue.

Ameraucana type is relatively easy to recreate. Get almost any medium/large breed with clean legs and throw pea comb and beard on it and it will look extremely Ameraucana-like. You could even use large fowl NN as a cross to get there.

It's because they have a rather simple type, a lot of their distinctive look is from just having a pea comb plus beard. Especially if you use birds with very large beards, they usually also have the "bull necked" look.

Back
Top Bottom