Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Nope. I have several NNs with feathered shanks. Unless they have a double dose of the gene there will be less feathering, but once you start crossing feathered leg with feathered leg you lose that reduction.

I haven't noticed a reduction in leg feathering on the showgirl legs. But then their leg feathers are huge... did you notice a reduction on birds with shorter/smaller leg feathers? It will be hard to tell if the bird has reduced leg feathers directly due to NN or just the genetic combination of leg feathering it happens to have.

The thing I've found with Brahms's are that they are very slow w growing birds. I had the hatchery ines and they are slow too.

They would definitely add size to your NN's but cause them to be slow growing also. But then you never really can tell they may take back after the NN side and grow a little faster than a Brahma. I gues it'd be worth a try. But not me, I don't want to deal with feathered legs.
\

Yep, this. People who try to cross and breed for big meat birds for eating all too often miss the part about growth rate. Big beautiful birds for sure(I absolutely love big birds myself).. but not worth eating for many weeks, months.. you can get around this by caponizing them or learn how to cook mature roosters. I cannot stand the taste of roosters once they've been crowing, shagging- very bitter taste to the meat but others have learned how to cook them up in a tasty way. That's not me though!

I am not getting alerts for this thread although I am still following. do I need to comment from time to time in order to get alerts?

I haven't noticed a reduction in leg feathering on the showgirl legs. But then their leg feathers are huge... did you notice a reduction on birds with shorter/smaller leg feathers? It will be hard to tell if the bird has reduced leg feathers directly due to NN or just the genetic combination of leg feathering it happens to have.

There's been a definite reduction in leg feathering with my NN crosses, but I don't think it's just because of the NN blood. One of my significantly feathered leg NN girls produced offspring with both feathered and non-feathered legs when crossed with a non-feathered leg NN rooster. Here FL offspring had fewer feathers and shorter feathers on their legs than their mom had. I've almost bred out the trait at this point.

I don't have any really good photos of Sissy because she's skittish and usually avoids me. This is the best one I have:
Sissy 9-30-2016.jpg

Where can I buy the turken chicks that will lay blue eggs? I only seem to find brown eggers. There must be some blue egger flocks of nn here in the US somewhere. I googled but didnt find any.

I have some that lay blue eggs and many that lay green eggs. The blue egg layers have pea combs and were crossed with Easter Eggers. Most of my green egg layers have straight combs and their egg color vary from pale celery to rich olive to even a teal green. I'm not selling hatching eggs at this time because most of my birds are in heavy molt and I'm trying to cull down my flock before setting up breeding pens, but I should have some available in the coming months or next spring.

Back
Top Bottom