Naked Neck/Turken Thread

20200311_111632.jpg
20200311_111614.jpg
20200311_111529.jpg
20200311_062102.jpg

8 wee ones hatched yesterday. Rooster is white, hens are blue, buff and red.

Hi everyone, still pretty new to chickens. But I have a question, sorry if its been answered already. What are the Genetics to get Naked Necks? I have Naked Necks, parents (they have bow ties) so i am assuming they will produce 50/50 naked necks and normal chicks? If i breed two of their normal offspring together? will these two normal chicks produce Naked Necks as well or not? Sorry, Still new to all of this.

If my understanding is correct the necked gene will present itself if present so any offspring that does not express the necked gene has no potential to pass it to the next generation when mated to a full feathered bird. So a bird with a double necked gene whenever mated with a full feathered bird will pass the necked gene to each of its offspring meaning they will all show the necked gene but only have one copy. If one of those birds, or a single necked gene bird is mated to a full feathered bird than half the offspring will get the necked gene the other half being full feathered.
I believe, someone correct me if I am wrong pleaee?, when crossing 2 birds with a single necked gene some of the offspring will get a double necked gene, some will get a single necked gene and I cant remember if there is a possibility for some fully feathered birds?

@mzlhomestead

The naked neck gene is an incomplete dominant gene. Meaning a fully feathered bird cannot hide the gene to pass it on. One copy will show a partial naked neck and two copies will show a full naked neck.

2 copies: expressed as NA/NA. Called Homozygous. (we can call this "Hom")
Shows either a small bow tie or clean neck.

1 copy: expressed as NA/Na. Called Heterozygous. (we can call this "Het")
Shows a bigger "bib".

0 copies: expressed as Na/Na. This is a normal fully feathered bird.

Breeding them together:

Na/Na (0) + Na/na (1) = 50% (0), 50% (1)

Na/Na (1) + Na/na (1) = 50% (1), 25% (2), 25% (0)

NA/Na (1) + Na/Na (2) = 50% (1), 50% (2)

NA/NA (2) + Na/Na (2) = 100% (2)

Na/Na (2) + na/na (0) = 100% (1)

If visuals help you better, the NA/Na genetics can be overlaid right on top of a Black/Blue/Splash breeding chart as the gene works the same way. Just sub Na/Na for splash, Na/na for blue, and na/na for black.

Back
Top Bottom