Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Here's my one NN chick - just over 9 weeks old - taking her/his first free range stroll (outside of chicken tractor) this morning in the chicken yard. Can anyone give me your best guess if it's a roo or hen? I don't have anyone to compare it too, the rest of flock is not NN & never had a NN before. Thanks for your help!
View attachment 2174760View attachment 2174762

I agree with the other's that it is a roo.

Capture+_2020-06-04-05-38-37(1).png

Lacey is this girls name but she reminds of Jack Skellington lol.

I have a chick right now breaking a hole in one of the egg's in my incubator, if you need some more. :gig
How eggciting--HaHa- Don't think I can handle more of anything right now - I have all I can do just checking to make sure everyone stays alive in this heat! I will need more sometime tho - I have 2 coops to fill up eventually.
I visited a friend yesterday who found a wild quail hatching in her garden pot on patio - I told her I hope the quail was cooling the eggs and maybe give her an ice cube in some water nearby.

Have to introduce our new flock of girl’s & possibly 2 cockerels.
We made a trip to pick up a black & white turken from @BlueBaby, could not leave the other 2 since they will do better when they are let out with the rest of the girl’s.
We already have 4 Muscovy duck hens & other chickens.

Terrie the Turken, a pullet has some nice black spots & is sweet. The baby chicks are in a garden cart so I can pick up & give them some lov’n, plus they can see all their new sisters running around them.

We already have 4 Muscovy duck hens & other chickens.

I had to delete the 1st post, had like 3 of the same photo, looks like it did the same.

@igorsMistress your Lacey is lovely. Hope our Clair has the same feathering.
13500B5B-C48B-47CF-A304-65B93C372CE1.png
EBE7D553-2FC2-4B36-8078-7E6DA9376A50.jpeg
EBE7D553-2FC2-4B36-8078-7E6DA9376A50.jpeg
46BD711C-F456-4836-BAAA-4A2DC473BC82.png
345237C9-0B4A-4E2D-8537-086E29D2A218.png

Last edited:
Are there easier ways to tell male's and females apart as youngsters? I know some people say that they get red as a male but I had a female a few years ago that always had bright red skin in her head
If you have a few from the same hatch, the combs are larger. I think that’s goes for all breeds as well.

Are there easier ways to tell male's and females apart as youngsters? I know some people say that they get red as a male but I had a female a few years ago that always had bright red skin in her head
Roos combs and wattles grow faster than pullets usually. At roughly 4 to 6 weeks, sometimes earlier or later of course, you'll notice certain chicks have bigger combs that are darker pink than others with the smaller combs.

Back
Top Bottom