Naked necks anyone?

Do you like naked necks?

• NO! They’re weird looking.

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • YES! I love them!

Votes: 39 79.6%

• Total voters
Pics
If I may, I'm concerned with mosquitos biting these. I raised CX and the rains started before their rumps were fully feathered. The mosquitos savaged the rumps and made some not nice looking chickens. The rains lasted for 2 weeks. The mosquitos until butcher. The fully feathered fared better.

Do NN have mosquito issues? Or do they scrunch the necks down? What is your experience here?

from the swamps of Houston
Maybe when they are young and their skin is still thin, but the exposed skin thickens as they get older. I know someone in Arkansas that keeps mostly NN's. He used to be on this forum but is on fb mostly now. I can ask.

Maybe when they are young and their skin is still thin, but the exposed skin thickens as they get older. I know someone in Arkansas that keeps mostly NN's. He used to be on this forum but is on fb mostly now. I can ask.

I would greatly appreciate it. The current hens' comb are targeted by the mosquitos. They love sitting in the dark, hay lined nest boxes and I get a cloud while collecting eggs. Try to shoo them out, but there are limits and they return. Never ending problem in this part of the world.

With this heat, I should be looking at large combed varieties. The leghorns are fine, the Easter Eggers are turning out with tight little combs. We will watch as they develop. The Australorp cross got the Dominique comb. Will watch.

I would greatly appreciate it. The current hens' comb are targeted by the mosquitos. They love sitting in the dark, hay lined nest boxes and I get a cloud while collecting eggs. Try to shoo them out, but there are limits and they return. Never ending problem in this part of the world.

With this heat, I should be looking at large combed varieties. The leghorns are fine, the Easter Eggers are turning out with tight little combs. We will watch as they develop. The Australorp cross got the Dominique comb. Will watch.
Well, those I know in the deep south are saying their NN's aren't bothered much by mosquitos. I'm getting suggestions of a bug zapper with mosquito lure, eucalyptus leaves in the coop, some product called Tal-Star, and to be sure to vaccinate your birds for fowl pox if you're having bad mosquito problems. Hope that helps. We are having a more mild and somewhat damp winter than usual around here, so we may have more mosquitos next summer than usual. Will have to see. I put eucalyptus leaves in my coop last year in an effort to keep down the flies, as they get bad, and it worked very well.

Moving air is the best mosquito-deterrent in the world. If your birds can stand a bit of draft, try putting in a fan. The only thing I've found more effective than a fan is a good, killing frost!

Well, those I know in the deep south are saying their NN's aren't bothered much by mosquitos. I'm getting suggestions of a bug zapper with mosquito lure, eucalyptus leaves in the coop, some product called Tal-Star, and to be sure to vaccinate your birds for fowl pox if you're having bad mosquito problems. Hope that helps. We are having a more mild and somewhat damp winter than usual around here, so we may have more mosquitos next summer than usual. Will have to see. I put eucalyptus leaves in my coop last year in an effort to keep down the flies, as they get bad, and it worked very well.

Advice learned the hard way:
Don't do the bug zapper. They're very effective for killing mosquitos ... and every mosquito within 1000 yards - including those with no intention of landing in your yard in the first place - will be drawn to it ... right through you and your chickens. The best way to use a mosquito zapper is to convince your neighbor to get one ... and to mount it as far from your place as possible!

Advice learned the hard way:
Don't do the bug zapper. They're very effective for killing mosquitos ... and every mosquito within 1000 yards - including those with no intention of landing in your yard in the first place - will be drawn to it ... right through you and your chickens. The best way to use a mosquito zapper is to convince your neighbor to get one ... and to mount it as far from your place as possible!

Hey, you can buy one of those for your neighbor for a Christmas gift! I'm sure that they will hang it up.

I put Mosquito Zappers in the coop, they weren't bothering the chickens (pre naked neck owning days) and every time I went in to check their feed I would wack the bug zapper to make the bugs fall out and the chickens would come running over to have fried bugs. To be honest it seemed to attract every flying insect except Mosquitos. I had it for a food source for chickens more than anything.

Back
Top Bottom