Naked Silkies

quailbrain

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2009
Oregon
Ok, so I had silkies as a kid and have had birds for 25 years of my life. I recently hatched out the cutest silkies babies from some eggs that were shipped to me. I love them to death but the other day I saw some silkie chicks for sale that look nothing like my babies. Mine have the dark skin but they have naked necks. The chicks I saw were little balls of fluff. the parents didn't look cross bred so it makes me wonder. Why do my babies have naked necks and these didn't. I saw pictures of my eggs parents and they looked great. My chicks all have naked necks. Their chicks all were fluff balls. It's not a nutrition thing. My birds are feed the best and both sets of these chicks were born that way.

Lol was gonna say showgirls too.
big_smile.png

They do look like Showgirls. I guess I was not aware of this type of silkie? Why are they called Showgirls? Anything interesting about showgirls tht I should know about?

The people you got the eggs from should have told you they were showgirls. It might be possible they did not know the parents were carring that gene. Some people do not want showgirls and you should have gotten what you paid for. Just my thoughts!

I saw the parents picts and they didn't look like this to me. I really loved the person I got the eggs from. She was kinda, generous and very communicative. I fear that she may have told me Showgirl and I may have thought she showed the birds. I think she said one of her roosters was Showgirl? I think this could have been my mistake. None of her hens looked like that though. Of the clutch I had two weak white chicks both die in a matter of hours. The other 5 were a mix of colors, all hens, all "showgirl".

Back
Top Bottom