Naming birds

I haven't named any of my ducks and I don't plan to name my chickens or guineas. It's possible some of them may turn into dinner so I figure it's better not to.

Oddly, though my 5 ducks are NOT to be eaten, I haven't named any of them. DH calls the big pekin "l'Orange", and one came to me already named but I don't use it. My neighbor (my duck/dog sitter) said he named them all after US presidents. I still don't see the point of calling my female runner duck Nixon though.
hmm.png

Quote:
For the three chicks we hatched I chose names that were female but could be changed to male if necessary. Good thing:
Prima became Primo
Olive became Oliver
Georgie became George
Apologies if I'm repeating myself. I've told this story before, possibly on this thread....
It's late and I'm tired.
sad.png

Quote:
That is so funny,
lol.png
My husband said the same thing , told me they were my "thing" but he isn't foolin' this old hen . I see him sneakin' out there to the coop playing with the 3 weekk old girls. He kinda made fun of the names I chose but I hear him calling them by name and baby talkin' them!
wink.png
big_smile.png
jumpy.gif

I've named several of my chicks. My hubby said you shouldn't name them they are food or food producers/food. My opinion however is that as long as they are alive they will have love and a good home when it's time for them to meet the skillet I'll atleast know that they had the best life I could possibly give them. However I did name my three meat chicks...Hamburger, Pork Chop, and Chicken
Just my humble opinion but if you can keep it seperated in your head that they aren't pets but food and don't fall too in love (notice I say too in love cause how can you possibly not fall in love with the adorable little things) then name 'em

some of ours have names- some don't. our oldest duck used to be called goose- her mate was Duck Duck-before something got her. now she is brooding again,hence her new moniker-mama duck.My grand daughter named the n ew ducklings Berry and Blueberry- I don't know which is which though and neither does she-LOL

If you don't feel compelled to name your birds I wouldn't worry about it. You can love them just as much and take care of them just as well whether they have names or not. LOL Maybe over time there will be a couple you end up giving nicknames to because of behaviors, etc. Don't stress over it - they're not going to have identity issues because you didn't name them!!!
gig.gif
hugs.gif

Lori

Well still no names, and I think thats the way its going to stay. They are happy, they dont mind being called chick chick, or wheres my eggs.

On a side note, chicks are so funny. I am weaning them off of having white lights all the time. I replaced one of the bulbs with a red light bulb. They are now scared of the dark side of their brooder and they all hang out on the white light side. Not huddled like cold just in a group because no one is brave enough to venture to the dark side.
lau.gif
lau.gif
They do play around on that side during the day when there is light from the window, but as soon as it gets dark off they go.

We have 60 chickens and they are all named. They tend to go in themes such as the French artist theme, food theme, superheros etc.

I have Carmen, and then we named the Serama chick, Sera..I have many many eggs in the incubator now and we will name the couple we keep. The ones that are going to my brother in laws farm will not be named...

We have already thought of some names even though they won't be here until May 14th (approx). We are keeping about half of our chicks to raise for egg layers and all of the cockrels I ordered, we are raising for broilers. I don't want to name those mainly because it will attach the children to them.

But they have come up with fantastic names for the ones we are keeping for egg layers:

They wanted to use a Harry Potter theme with some of the chickens
lol.png

9 year old: Edna (he wanted Eggna but I talked him out of it) and Wendy
6 year old: Dutchess and Minerva (from Gryffindor)
5 year old: Mary and Helga (as in Hufflepuff)
2 year old: Bellatrix (LeStrange) and Rowena (Ravenclaw) We named these for him
Mom (me!): Snickerdoodle and Dumplin'

Those are the ones we have come up with so far. I figure the rest will come to us. But it's a start!

Back
Top Bottom