Naming your chicks......

Quote:
I started off thinking about old fashioned names too. Henrietta was one of them. Bertha, Gertrude, Winnifred, Harriett but my kids really didn't want those names.

The chickens we had as kids were affectionately named Whitey, Reddie, Goldie, Blackie, Hawkie, and Pookie. My mom had her own names for some of them. Reddie and Goldie were actually named Agfa and Ilford. Blackie and Hawkie were Crow Woman and Lady Hawk. Whitey was my brother's that he won in a raffle for easter, after his first grade class hatched them, so she never got a proper name. Pookie was a BR rooster that we gave away shortly after he began crowing, due to city ordinances.

The chicks I have now are named Isis, Hecate, Demeter, and Innana. I call Innana, the RIR, Red sometimes, though.

We have 6 babies; 4 Araucanas and 2 Rhode Island Reds. Although we don't know the genders of the Araucanas yet, we know the Reds are pullets. Anyway, we weren't going to name the birds until we know who was a hen, and who would survive chick-hood, but they seemed to name themselves. They are:
*Amy (Short for Amarillo, or yellow in Spanish since s/he is all yellow)
*Bob Coffee (Mostly brown chick who always gets the earth worm and is therefore the "early bird")
*Mochi (fuzzy little dumpling of a chick who resembles the Japanese ice cream pastry)
*Pecca (she likes to peck everything!)
*JuChi (Like J-Lo for Julia Child since this little pullet always sleeps in the food!)
*Penguin (Our little runt who looks like an ugly little penguin chick.)

Haha you're funny!!! I thought of Tammy but it wasn't fancy enough......
big_smile.png
and I have a friend named Tanya so i thought it would be strange naming a hen that. Haha!!!

I'm surprised you don't think the Judds were one of the best....Shania i can understand though. No i wouldn't use the Dixie Chicks....i wouldn't do that to another living creature.
wink.png

You want funny?

My dd Taylor she is 6 suggested that we should name every rooster "Valerie" before we cull it. Why? this was a rank hunting"woman' that was trying to steal my hubby from me.
I am more of a fan of traditional country music. I just thought about one more woman "Allison Kraus"
she is awesome too.

Mine are named as follows:

Roo-Henry
Cockeral-Blondie-oops we thought it was a girl also blind
Cockeral-Sam

Hens & Pullets
Miss Carrie
Butterscotch
Hattie
Emma
Lucy
Angel
Juliet
Gracie

Thanks,
DeeDee

I'm still waiting for personalities to show.. that's how I usually name them. Edith Ann, Edna, and Bertha are the B.Os.. they're bossy, fussy, and have big Old World butts.
lau.gif

Cottonball, Zebra, Keesha, and Pecker (
he.gif
) were named by the kids.

Doris is named after a co-workers late Mother. DuDa is named after another co-workers German mother
wink.png

Cleo(patra) was named thusly because as a chick she had Egyptian eye markings. She's very regal and take-no-crap too.

The ducks are (for now) named Pumpkin and Hunny Bunny ala Pulp Fiction. They're both nuts, and one is completely neurotic. They both pillage and grab any and all food within reach.

Mr. and Mrs. Worthington are the porcelain D'Uccles... they just look like fancy little hoity toity rich old white folks.

FrizzGig is after Fizzgig from the Dark Crystal. It just suited her.

The rest will get names as they start to really stand out from the crowd for ome thing or another.

Oh, and we have a rabbit named Spree. Like the candy.

Thats one I forgot..Emory. Which means leader/head-of-household. I think I know which one she is, but just to make sure..I'm waiting.

I wonder how I should spell it? Ive seen Emmery, Emery, and Emory..
hmm.png

our first chickens: yellow = Goldie
red = Rusty
black = Blackie

their 4 babies Rusty Jr., which was a roo and changed
his name to Bucky
Peeps
Chirpie
Flower

Our new Auracanas Funny Face
Aspire
Chipmunk