Nankin Discussion Thread

Hi I am looking to add to my flock, and i am very interested in Nankins, i was wondering where i could get some chicks or hatching eggs.

ok, Im new here and I just got somwe of Monte's eggs. Im very excited to get these hatched off and see what I come up with. I'm sure i will be pleased. I will post pictures as I get them but seriously am excited to be able to be a part of the Nankin world.

We are totally new to chicken keeping, but once I get a notion I really sink my teeth into it. So if we were going to have chickens, I wanted lovely, good natured, silly little ladies that were special. We found a breeder a few hours away that got his own initial birds from Colonial Williamsburg. -cue my husband's eye rolling about the long drive when Tractor Supply right up the street had a tub of perfectly good chicks- Now we have 2 Nankins, 2 mottled Javas and 2 Wyandottes. I'm hooked. I love my bantam girls! It's only been 8 weeks but they willingly let me pick them up and perch on my hand, and call to me in the morning when they hear the screen door open. They prance all around my 10 month old and let her pet them as long as she doesn't get TOO interested. When we introduced the 4 chicks, the Nankins pecked at them mildly, but it wasn't particularly harsh or long lasting. They've just been the funniest, spunkiest, friendliest little birds. I'm just in love and wish I could have 100 of the little buggers.

Hello everyone! Poultry Show next month if anyone is in the area.

District Meets:
American Bantam Club
American Brahma Club
State Meets:
American Poultry Association
American Langshan Club
American Silkie Bantam Club
Nankin Club of America
Sebright Club of America
Special Meets:
Ameraucana Breeders Club
Belgian D’Anver Club
National Call Breeders of America
Cochins International
International Waterfowl Fanciers Association
Old English Game Bantam Club
Plymouth Rock Fanciers Club of America
Wyandotte Breeders Club

Premium book is ready to be downloaded. Go to https://lebanonpoultryfanciers.wordpress.com/

I am Nankin Bantam Breeder, Nankins can be hatched in a inci with fair results, putting them under a hen improves the results, as the eggs and chicks seem to need the hen talking to them before hatching, and the care of a mother after hatching. I can ship to the West coast this fall, It is to cold to ship East and have the egg hatch. I am taking orders for Spring eggs, contact me at [email protected]

Last edited:
We were at Colonial Williamsburg last week...they have a nice sized flock of single comb Nankins, but have only a trio of rose comb Nankins at present, as the normal place they keep their Rosecomb Nankins is being "fixed" to keep out a mouse infestation.

However, most of the birds in the United States have originated from the Colonial Williamsburg Stock, one way or another. If you trace the history of the breed, you will find this to be true. They got their birds from the author of the book "The Nankin Bantam," who no longer has birds. Elaine Shirley, the coordinator of CW's Rare Breeds program, has been spreading Nankins around slowly to various flocks for many years...and those folks have spread theirs on to other people.

I'm beginning to see some great differentiation between birds raised by different breeders, now that the CW birds have been "out on the market" for quite a number of years. Most people that have gotten them have gotten them in about the last 10 to 13 years. And most of THAT subset has gotten them in the past 4 years or less, with the exception of a few of the earlier pioneer breeders that started that Nankin Club of America in 2006. Prior to that, VERY few people had them.

Our birds come from a variety of sources...some from Monte Bowen in Kansas (who got them from CW,) some from Don Cable's line (who got them from Monte Bowen, then did some significant breeding), some from another breeder that no longer has birds due to his health.

Most "adult" breeders here in California no longer have birds, or many of them. For the most part, it's 4H kids that have Nankins now in this area (Northern and Central California). There are, however, some very nice quality birds in these small flocks, the result of several years' intensive breeding by various people.

Back
Top Bottom