Nasty big long worm in chicken poop

RenoHuskerDu

Songster
Aug 8, 2018
Central Texas
Howdy,

I found this primitive little monster in a wet poop this morning. A friend says it's a Round Worm. I would prefer that it's a Dead Worm.

She suggested using dosage of Wazine, but blue state weasels have infiltrated our state government, and I can't buy Wazine anymore without a piece of paper from a vet. I did call our dog vet and left a message. I don't know if she'll be able to help. I'm not taking chickens in to a vet, sorry.

What would y'all do?
ChickenWorm.jpg

That's concerning. You can send a fecal sample to your state poultry diagnostic lab and possibly get a prescription from them. You can get all those wormers Eggcessive listed on line.

Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory (Main)
483 Agronomy Road
College Station, Texas 77843-4471
Phone: 979-845-3414

Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory – Gonzales (Branch)
1162 East Sarah DeWitt Drive
Gonzales, Texas 78629
Phone: 830-672-2834

Texas Animal Health Commission State-Federal Laboratory
8200 Cameron Road, Suite A186
Austin, Texas 78754-3832
Phone: 512-832-6580

Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory - Amarillo (Branch)
6610 Amarillo Blvd West
Amarillo, Texas 79106-1706
Phone: 806-353-7478

Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory - Center (Branch)
635 Malone Dr
Center, Texas 75935-3530
Phone: 936-598-4451

A couple years ago they removed several antibiotics from store shelves but I haven't seen that happen for wazine.
Blue state weasels aren't the problem.
The requirement for antibiotic prescriptions was a long overdue move.
23,000 people a year die from antibiotic resistant bacteria.
Many livestock antibiotic families are the same as those used for humans. Prophylactic overuse of antibiotics and anthelmintics is the problem - not the blue state or deep state.

Last edited:
Wazine can be bought over the counter here in Texas, a prescription is not needed.
Every feed store I have been to has it on the shelf.

Actually all of the 'regular' wormers can be bought over the counter here.

I would buy the Safeguard goat or horse wormer if I were you.

Safegard Liquid Goat Wormer dosage is 1/4 ml per pound given for 5 days straight.

Valbazen dosage is 0.08 ml per pound given once and repeat in 10 days.

Wazine is put in the water for 24 hours. Add 30 ml or one ounce to each gallon of water. Remove after 24 hours.

Eggs should be tossed for 14 days after the last dosage, but some do ignore that or feed them to animals. There can be a small amount of drug residue.

Wazine can be bought over the counter here in Texas, a prescription is not needed.
Every feed store I have been to has it on the shelf.

Actually all of the 'regular' wormers can be bought over the counter here.
I would buy the Safeguard goat or horse wormer if I were you.

Just tried two feed stores and Tractor Supply, they said no Wazine anymore, fyi

Safegard Liquid Goat Wormer dosage is 1/4 ml per pound given for 5 days straight.
SNIP
Eggs should be tossed for 14 days after the last dosage, but some do ignore that or feed them to animals. There can be a small amount of drug residue.

I'm going for the Safeguard, thanks.
We're getting excellent egg production now, I'd hate to waste them.

Is it risky to put off treatment? And, bigger question, how can we tell which hen(s) has the worms? I'm averse to broad use of medications, prefer to target it well.

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom