Nasty big long worm in chicken poop

How to avoid getting them: Roundworms are primarily spread by the oral/fecal route, meaning a bird has to eat feces or something contaminated by feces to become infected. Keep founts and feeders clean. Use feeders and founts that are designed to minimize fecal contamination of the food and water. Our founts are good, the nipple type. But our feeders are standard.
One female roundworm lays thousands of eggs a day which are excreted in feces onto and into the soil. (Of course chickens will have many more female worms internally lol.)
Chickens constantly peck the soil and in doing so pick up eggs and swallow them. If birds are penned, they'll will need to be wormed more frequently. Check out the worms direct lifecycle:
wormer3.jpg

OK ladies and gentlemen,
The CEO (chicken executive officer) of our marriage has spoken. She wants to try Flubenvet, because eggs may still be consumed. I found this post from 2010, which I won't necropost but merely cite here (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/flubenvet-1.415210/)

But so far, I can't find any Flubenvet for sale, so that rends the whole issue moot. Do y'all have a source to buy Flubenvet? The 2010 post mentions ordering it from New York (where I've recently decided I won't do business, but I can't discuss why because some kind, inclusive forum members might withhold their knowledge from me).

My only local choices today (I shop to support local family businesses) are Safeguard or Durafend. https://www.durvet.com/product/durafend/ Y'all have already recommended Safeguard, how about Durafend?

Last edited:
One female roundworm lays thousands of eggs a day which are excreted in feces onto and into the soil. (Of course chickens will have many more female worms internally lol.)
Chickens constantly peck the soil and in doing so pick up eggs and swallow them. If birds are penned, they'll will need to be wormed more frequently. Check out the worms direct lifecycle:
View attachment 1709971

Our chickens free range, but spend a lot of time under the chicken trailer, pecking at spilled feed. Which has plenty of poop too. We do supplement water with ACV. But they got worms despite that.

The fancy feeders where chickens stick their head in a little port might cure this issue. Rentacoop sells very nice ones, but they are expensive, and Rentacoop cautions that there is a chicken learning curve for them to climb to learn how to eat.

Many species of roundworms have secondary hosts like earthworms, beetles, grasshoppers, cockroaches, slugs and snails.

Here in Central Texas, we have grasshoppers, scorpions, and earthworms, in that order. The chickens go nuts for grasshoppers, chase them around like crazy. Scorpions are a delicacy too but less common. If grasshoppers are a worm vector, that could be a problem. But the grasshoppers are not out yet this year.

Back
Top Bottom