Nasty eye infection (pics)

What did you do once you got the pus out? Did you put her on an antibiotic?

I don’t believe that I did because she was doing so well. I probably put triple antibiotic ointment in her eye right after the procedure. I can’t actually remember, but if I had done anything it would’ve been the oral dose of Tylan 50 and triple antibiotic ointment dabbed in her eye.

No point in using antibiotics until you get all of the pus out, and getting all of it out without surgery might be difficult.

Read this:
http://connerhills.com/sinus_infection_removal.html

-Kathy

Is the surgery mostly for hard masses? This looks soft but I haven't touched it.

Should I flush with tylan as he did or just use the trip antibiotic ointment? Give an oral dose too?

I guess you should start by figuring out if the mass is firm or liquid. If it's liquid, you might be able to squeeze it out, but if it's firm, I'm afraid surgery is your only option. Search the forum for a thread about a turkey with a swollen eye or sinus... Think the OP was darkwater something? They just went thru something similar.

Antibiotics, oral or topical, will *not* treat this. Pus must be removed before giving drugs.

-Kathy

Right, I mean after removal.

No point in using antibiotics until you get all of the pus out, and getting all of it out without surgery might be difficult.

Read this:
http://connerhills.com/sinus_infection_removal.html

-Kathy

Is the surgery mostly for hard masses? This looks soft but I haven't touched it.

Should I flush with tylan as he did or just use the trip antibiotic ointment? Give an oral dose too?

I guess you should start by figuring out if the mass is firm or liquid. If it's liquid, you might be able to squeeze it out, but if it's firm, I'm afraid surgery is your only option. Search the forum for a thread about a turkey with a swollen eye or sinus... Think the OP was darkwater something? They just went thru something similar.

Antibiotics, oral or topical, will *not* treat this. Pus must be removed before giving drugs.

-Kathy

Right, I mean after removal.

Ointment won't hurt, but I'm not sure undiluted Tylan should be put in the eye. Oral Tylan would be fine.

-Kathy

Here's a different angle. Looks less like sinuses and more like the eye? I've read all the links, ready to head back out and do some better checking.

Back. Good news is that her eye still looks ok. The mass is solid and doesn't wiggle even a bit. I'll try the surgery in the morning when DH can assist. I don't think I can hold and cut at the same time. Do most people do it alone?

Back
Top Bottom