Nasty eye infection (pics)

Kikisgirls sent me a link to this post; I had a similar surgery I posted and I had believed the infection to be coryza (not all the birds developed massive pus tumors, but several had infections in their eyes that they healed from before it got to that point.. for whole story see https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/surviving-infectious-coryza.1187396/page-2#post-19121987

How is your flock doing now after time has passed? Are your hens laying? Did they ever have a nasal discharge that smelled like roadkill? Are any still sick? I will scour your other posts to see..

Hi! They're all fine now. Soot went to a new home this past spring but she fully recovered. As far as I can tell it was an isolated incident. I have not had another case since this one. The only stink they've had was wet pox, and that's such an indescribable aroma. Like a maple candle in a moldy basement, and snot.

Yes, seems like you have multiple issues going on. Pox typically resolves itself within a few weeks. It might be worth your while to send the next deceased for necropsy, or sacrifice one you don't care about as much.

I quarantine for 30 days at least 30 yards from my current flock regardless of the source, and always recommend folks do the same with my birds.

A few months ago my flock went through fowl pox. Only one bird had wet pox, and the EEs/orp mixes hardly developed spots on their combs at all. Soot the EE got bubbles in her eye and nasal discharge. By the time I decided to treat it, she'd be better. Then a few days later sick again.

My chicken sitters gave her a round of tylan 50 over thanksgiving. I gave her another round a few weeks later. We've been gone for two weeks and got back last night. And now her eye looks like this:

What's the best way to proceed with this? I was thinking to wash with saline, squeeze that gunk out, flush again, and treat with opthamalic ointment. I'd have to pick some up. I have the saline, tylan 50, and plain triple antibiotic on hand.

I do have a vet nearby who claims to see chickens, but they've lied to me before so I don't consider that an option.
@CarpCharacin Check out the pics in this thread.

WARNING: Only watch the video below if you have already eaten or else are starting a diet.

This video shows chickens with swollen eyes being treated for eye worms. Enjoy.

0.jpg

Oh, eye worms are caused by eating insects that have picked up the eye worm eggs and the young worm has hatched and migrated to the eyes of your chickens where the worms finishes their life cycle.

Last edited:
Quote:
We did a LOT of eye cleaning, but no cutting. We used Q-Tips wetted with saline solution to dampen the eye so it would open. Pressed the pus out through the eye as seen in the earlier video, washed the eye out with Verticyn Eye Wash, and then applied Erythromycin Ophthalmic ointment to the eye. The Erythromycin ointment is a prescription drug as is the Zactran. The Zactran is given once and is good for five days, in some cases it will need to be given a second time, but usually one injection is enough.

Back
Top Bottom