Nasty eye infection (pics)

I'm going to be honest: I didn't call any vets today. She's not a $25 hen, so I either need to treat with what I have or something that's super cheap/OTC. I flushed with saline before and after. Should I start the oral tylan and hope for the best? Just dab it with the trip-antibacterial ointment I have?
Hey, it's okay. No harm in try oral Tylan and ointment.. BTW, excellent job!

-Kathy

That's good to know. The dead animal smelling nasal discharge I've been dealing with is almost gone from my flock (or may be completely, haven't smelled it on any birds in a week or 3) but the original bird that came in with it that infected my flock now has those warty lesions on his comb and face; I just noticed it today. The mosquitoes have been biblical this year and it's just now cooling off enough to slow them down. He's such a sweet bird, but I'm tempted to off him; I've already got 4 separate groups now, and I don't have time to quarantine yet another. I wonder if the eye infection can be caused by multiple pathogens and still present the same way. Grats on the successful operation.

I have a thread on fowl pox also. A few of my young cochins have a mild case right now. Offing him won't really help anything at this point. From what I remember the fowl pox can suppress the immune system, that's where the secondary infections creep in. You can leave him in his place and clean waterers every day, or just put him in a dog crate for a couple weeks. It's probable that the other birds will also develop pox. So they had wet pox first? Or the coryza?

That's good to know. The dead animal smelling nasal discharge I've been dealing with is almost gone from my flock (or may be completely, haven't smelled it on any birds in a week or 3) but the original bird that came in with it that infected my flock now has those warty lesions on his comb and face; I just noticed it today. The mosquitoes have been biblical this year and it's just now cooling off enough to slow them down. He's such a sweet bird, but I'm tempted to off him; I've already got 4 separate groups now, and I don't have time to quarantine yet another. I wonder if the eye infection can be caused by multiple pathogens and still present the same way. Grats on the successful operation.

@ChuSayBok , what drugs have you tried?

I'm hoping you mean for the chickens. ;)

If you didn't go through the pains of reading my whole thread Kikis posted (ty@kikisgirls,) I started out with oregano oil and colloidal silver.
It was really expensive and hard not to waste; especially the oil. That stuff is bitter, and the chu said they would rather die than have it forced on them. The silver helped keep most of their eyes from getting infected, but of course I missed the 3. I got beat down enough to try
Tylan 50 and I had limited success with that (with larger birds, not smaller) but it was temporary. In fact, the ones I treated w/ Tylan either retained their symptoms longer or they eventually died or were picked off by the hawks. The improvement was quick, but l suspect it probably just builds resistance in the bacteria. I stopped using it altogether.

The older birds I got to early with the Oregano oil seemed to do the best; most have fully recovered but are still not laying; however 3 went into molt, however that plays into it. In the past week it became apparent that my youngest group had been exposed, as a pullet had that terrible yellow pus infection not in her eye, but in her mouth. After removing her from her group, I tried a different strategy with the oregano oil and poured it over some old canned pears my grandmother put up in 2003. I gave her some and all the rest of her estranged brood over the next three days and they scarfed it. Her infection has now cleared and none of the others show any signs of sickness.

A few months ago my flock went through fowl pox. Only one bird had wet pox, and the EEs/orp mixes hardly developed spots on their combs at all. Soot the EE got bubbles in her eye and nasal discharge. By the time I decided to treat it, she'd be better. Then a few days later sick again.

My chicken sitters gave her a round of tylan 50 over thanksgiving. I gave her another round a few weeks later. We've been gone for two weeks and got back last night. And now her eye looks like this:

What's the best way to proceed with this? I was thinking to wash with saline, squeeze that gunk out, flush again, and treat with opthamalic ointment. I'd have to pick some up. I have the saline, tylan 50, and plain triple antibiotic on hand.

I do have a vet nearby who claims to see chickens, but they've lied to me before so I don't consider that an option.

Did you use any anesthetic? What tools did you use to get the puss out? I picked up a pullet who has had a swollen eye for about 4 months and the local vet tried some eye drops(didn’t do anything) then recommended surgery to remove the eye. I’m hoping he might have missed something like this. I’ll have to look at her better tomorrow to see if it could be this type of thing.

Attachments

• 891CE7C0-66A7-4B25-A2ED-3060130C7674.jpeg
    891CE7C0-66A7-4B25-A2ED-3060130C7674.jpeg
    396.8 KB · Views: 12
Did you use any anesthetic? What tools did you use to get the puss out? I picked up a pullet who has had a swollen eye for about 4 months and the local vet tried some eye drops(didn’t do anything) then recommended surgery to remove the eye. I’m hoping he might have missed something like this. I’ll have to look at her better tomorrow to see if it could be this type of thing.

I did not use anesthetic. I wore gloves gloves and worked it out with my fingers. I used a q-tip dipped in antibiotic ointment (to lubricate) to dig out one little stubborn piece. I did not have to do surgery.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom