Natural deworming

I like using diatomaceous earth for all my critters, just mix it in the feed for several days. You can find it at feed stores and amazon - use a mask when handling it because it can cause respiratory problems.
DE is worthless. It does nothing but get your chickens sick. They have poor respiratory systems and breathing in tiny sharp edges will just make micro cuts in their lungs.

Not sure if my post is being referred to as being rude/weird ( :oops: ) I certainly didn't mean it to come out that way. I have very strong views with DE, and other "natural products" because early on in my poultry-keeping they were suggested to me a lot. So when I had a mite infestation, I opted for DE, treated, dusted all the birds/coop. Fast forward a few weeks and they still had it.

After I realized some of the controversies around DE, I got a permethrin spray which took care of the mites in a very short period of time.

My point is, these natural products tend to be ineffective, so I have a hard time seeing them recommend at all, because you're not only providing the owner with misleading information, but putting the birds life at risk too.
I agree. I don’t mean to come off as rude, but I have strong opinions about DE bc it really is worthless. I don’t know where this myth that it’s good for chickens came from, but people on the internet, Like Beckys Homestead on youtube are spreading a false truth that it is good for them, and getting many peoples chickens sick.

I think that many people will agree that many of the “natural remedies” have less scientific studies done (possibly more anecdotal information??) and the scientific studies often show there is marginal effectiveness on large infestations and very few studies on light loads or preventative maintenance. With that being said, if you choose to try a natural remedy (ACV, pumpkin seeds, etc) that does little to no harm as a preventative and save the big chemical weapons for outbreaks you could potentially have the best of both worlds.

I've used the benonite clay and I also add cider vinegar in their water. I haven't used garlic in a while so will add some later.

Wouldn't have thought of bentonite clay. I use it to make my own toothpaste, though.

I've heard that garlic isn't great for chickens and ducks. It might be best to avoid it. I kind of doubt small doses would hurt them, but it's definitely something to be cautious with.

Wouldn't have thought of bentonite clay. I use it to make my own toothpaste, though.

I've heard that garlic isn't great for chickens and ducks. It might be best to avoid it. I kind of doubt small doses would hurt them, but it's definitely something to be cautious with.
Thank you for your reply. There are so many conflicting views on this garlic it's so hard to work out which is right way.
I cook a tiny amount into scraps of vegetables adding the crumbs and layers feed, but only use the garlic one a week of fortnightly. :)

Back
Top Bottom