Necropsies

It is not the speculation that is the problem. It is everyone saying that it is the fault of the hatchery itself. People like to set the blame on others to relieve the thought that they may have contributed the the problem. This could have happened to all hatcheries or just a few. The hatcheries do not keep chicks from each hatch to see if future problems arise. They are not going to know if a vaccine is contaminated or even killed or in the right porprtion to give immunity without causing the true infection. That is up to the companies that make it and they do get missed occasionally. Is it silly to think a company is going to say yes we will pay for hundreds of dollars worth of test when they can refund the money or chicks. These chicks are 2 to 3 dollars a piece. I produced Mareks vaccines for 5 years along with many other types and problems and contamination does happen. If people realized how these vaccines were made they would really have a cow..lol Brain storming is great if it doesnt keep coming back to a slander. Jenn

My chicks are sick also, however they were not vaccinated (at least I didn't ask for or pay for it) as far as I know, unless they were vaccinated by accident. Maybe the problem is not with the vaccine. Speculation, yes!

Just an FYI for people who want to discuss the issue openly: LiveJournal is free and you can set up a group easily. That may be a better and easier way to keep your lines of communication open. Just a thought.
smile.png

If a vaccine is not killed properly it will introduce the live virus into the chicks at which time they are contaminated and also can pass the virus on to surrounding chicks. So one box of vaccintated chicks set by a box of non vaccinated chicks can cause the contamination of the non chicks. It is similar to a person having the flu and touching someone that is well, you might get it and you might not. That would be the most logical way for Mareks, if this is indead the problem, to be passed so quickly. Since there are so many different sicknesses out there they could have been brought in by accedent. These places have strick procedures to try to keep all infectious agent out but nothing is fool proof. Plain fact is that it is a sad thing that has happened but everyone that has contacted them have been offered thier money or replacements. No body has a magic wand to zap the sick and bring them back. Jenn

Quote:
Interesting thought. It’s understandable that a few greenhorns such are myself contributed to the problem simply because we lacked the experience. Ok, that would be fine and good. I tried to be as prepared as I could. I read all the books I could get my hands on. I researched the web for months before I ordered them. I talked to people who had raised chicks. I felt like I knew at least a decent amount of information. However I could never have gained the experience one does actually going through it, and that’s what makes the difference. That said, there are people on here who’ve been raising chicks for years and who have that experience. It still happened to them……

Being in education I can see how this whole thing equates to a common phenomenon that happens in schools probably everyday. A teacher gives their students a test and one or two students do poorly. OK, they probably didn’t study. Then if a teacher gives their students a test and only one or two students pass it, that sounds more like the teacher wasn‘t holding up their end.

It might not have been that the teacher wasnt holding up thier end of the deal, they just didnt realize that thier students were not "getting it". My daughter just had a test in english that more then half of the students failed. It was straight forward and the students truely had to study hard to do well. Most didnt. My daughter passed and I still got after her for not doing better. The simple fact is that sometimes the source doesnt realize there is a problem until it is to late. Jenn

I dunno, I guess I’m old fashion. If it is indeed that, did they know the vaccine was bad? Who knows, probably not? Were the chicks sold under their business name? Yes. Take responsibility. It’s a far too competitive world out there anymore. You must treat customers right or they’re gone. You can’t just say “oh, sorry, wasn’t our fault” and shut the door in the customers face. You’ll cut your own throat doing something like that these days.

Now I’m not saying they’re doing that. They were nice to me when I called. I’m saying it sounds like some people are getting a run around of sorts and that’s just digging a deeper hole into an already bad spot. They’d just be better off biting the bullet and keeping this thing small instead of denying it. Denying it will only make people mad and serve to grow this problem that could have been easily conquered, into something that could possibly take their business under.

Quote:
Yes, please discuss, but avoid pointing fingers. Somewhere along the lines there was an accident or a problem and dozens of other factors could have made it better or worse for each person. Speculation is fine, making hypothesis is great, but they must be tested with both positive and negative controls. I hope some sort of analysis comes in from labs soon. It is sad but nobody could have predicted it or wanted it to happen to them.

I've been watching these discussions for the last few days now and find this pretty troubling.
I've had very good experiences with the hatchery that has been discussed here.
What I find troubling is that they were informed about this discussion and they have chosen not to respond against or in favor of or to offer any kind of support or suggestions.

Sadly their lack of response is calling in to question now the good feelings and relationship I've had with them in the past.
Their silence on this matter can only serve to make matters worse, I hope they will realize this before irreparable harm is done.

Back
Top Bottom