Is she eating her usual chicken feed? What type of feed do you use? I would provide some probiotics in her food if they are not on the label. With a damaged vent, she may leak white urates. You can alternate your antifungal cream with the Triple Antibiotic Ointment. Something like Nustock cream from a feedstore (in the horse supplies) is both antifungal and antibiotic, and can help treat vent gleet. Some use refrigerated coconut oil 1 tsp, cut into small pieces to help lubricate the system to help with constipation.

Is she eating her usual chicken feed? What type of feed do you use? I would provide some probiotics in her food if they are not on the label. With a damaged vent, she may leak white urates. You can alternate your antifungal cream with the Triple Antibiotic Ointment. Something like Nustock cream from a feedstore (in the horse supplies) is both antifungal and antibiotic, and can help treat vent gleet. Some use refrigerated coconut oil 1 tsp, cut into small pieces to help lubricate the system to help with constipation.
Yes, I use dumor layer pellets. No probiotics in feed but I do add rooster booster to their water. That has lacto bacillus and electrolytes. I’m due for new feed so I will look at upgrading protein for sure. Will also look for nustock.

Just checked her again and there is no spreading. She is still lively and was eating when i went in.

If you can post another picture, showing how it looks now, might be helpful. I'm still a bit suspicious that there may have been a prolapse, maybe a small one, that got cannibalized before you found her. Sometimes it's very hard to tell things from still pictures. That would explain the difficulty pooing. I would continue what you are doing, with soaks, and debriding, and ointment. And probiotics and coconut oil to see if it helps her pass droppings. How old is she, and do you know when she last laid?

If you can post another picture, showing how it looks now, might be helpful. I'm still a bit suspicious that there may have been a prolapse, maybe a small one, that got cannibalized before you found her. Sometimes it's very hard to tell things from still pictures. That would explain the difficulty pooing. I would continue what you are doing, with soaks, and debriding, and ointment. And probiotics and coconut oil to see if it helps her pass droppings. How old is she, and do you know when she last laid?
She is only about 10 months old. She’s only just started laying about a month ago. I don’t know her last lay. I will get a picture as soon as I can.

I have used a lot of different feeds over the years, including the Dumor when I have had trouble with wild startlings eating my food, but it is very powdery, even the pellets. My flock prefers Purina Flock Raiser with 20% protein. I tried to switch them back to Dumor and then later, Purina Layer, and they would not eat either. I tried some expensive Flock Party layer crumbles just recently since it looked like nice big crumbles, and less powdery, but they will not eat it. So Flock Raiser it is, and they also have crushed oyster shell and crushed egg shells available for extra calcium. My old hens do not lay much anyway, so I will give them what they like.

I also use Purina Flock Raiser. While I'm not a huge fan of Purina, it's the best I can get locally on a consistent basis. I used Dumor in the past, I had some birds that had a hard time digesting it, had some crop issues, which all resolved when I switched feeds. The ingredient label has changed some since then, but I've never gone back and tried it again. I would experiment a little bit and see what they do best on, sometimes a change can be for the better. And if you have a mixed age flock, or have roosters at any point, then the extra calcium in the layer feed can cause health problems down the road. So I do flock raiser with calcium in separate feeders for those that need it, and don't have to worry that those who don't will get too much.

I also use Purina Flock Raiser. While I'm not a huge fan of Purina, it's the best I can get locally on a consistent basis. I used Dumor in the past, I had some birds that had a hard time digesting it, had some crop issues, which all resolved when I switched feeds. The ingredient label has changed some since then, but I've never gone back and tried it again. I would experiment a little bit and see what they do best on, sometimes a change can be for the better. And if you have a mixed age flock, or have roosters at any point, then the extra calcium in the layer feed can cause health problems down the road. So I do flock raiser with calcium in separate feeders for those that need it, and don't have to worry that those who don't will get too much.
I just got flock raiser for my flock! Hopefully they like it. Thanks for the advice!

Here it is this afternoon. I soaked her again. And put on neosporin. I couldn’t find the nustock at my local tractor supply so I will look elsewhere. I also will get coconut oil.

Attachments

• B186F0B9-949B-42DB-BC94-9150EA70D608.jpeg
    B186F0B9-949B-42DB-BC94-9150EA70D608.jpeg
    476.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 5175A121-75E6-484B-82F4-D4A6111A8407.jpeg
    5175A121-75E6-484B-82F4-D4A6111A8407.jpeg
    557.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 6F5FFEC0-2BC1-4B0C-BB61-0430E3B222D1.jpeg
    6F5FFEC0-2BC1-4B0C-BB61-0430E3B222D1.jpeg
    552.2 KB · Views: 12
Here it is this afternoon. I soaked her again. And put on neosporin. I couldn’t find the nustock at my local tractor supply so I will look elsewhere. I also will get coconut oil.
Thats good the were starting to see some pink tissue. Does it hurt the hen when you touch the black scabby stuff? If not I would try to gently remove some of it and then put some Neosporin on it. But be very careful when you do this.

Thats good the were starting to see some pink tissue. Does it hurt the hen when you touch the black scabby stuff? If not I would try to gently remove some of it and then put some Neosporin on it. But be very careful when you do this.
She doesn’t seem to be in pain when I try to debride it with a washcloth. I am trying to get off as much as possible. I will do that! Thank you

Back
Top Bottom