Need a help with electric fence design

We just lost one 4 months old chicken to, likely, a fox. When I went to lock the chickens in the coop , at about 9 pm Infiana time, one was missing. I couldn’t see any trace of blood or feathers but will check again tomorrow. Our run is 50 ft square and has 4 ft chicken wire around it and electric fence at about 8“ above the ground on the outside the perimeter. I looked but i couldn’t see any dug hole under the fence, but it was dusk so I will check tomorrow.

I know that fox can jump over my low electric fence (I was advised to set it so low to protect raccoons from coming over the fence) but wonder how the fox avoided to touch the wire before deciding to jump over (and clime the fence). I assume it was the fox since the whole chicken is taken away.

I would like to get info about building a better electric fence.
i would appreciate any input.

thank you
Have you tried setting live traps as well?

Don't know a lot about foxes, but I would think a four foot fence would be nothing for a fox to hop over without touching the fence.

I have boar. and the neighbor's boar hunting dogs. They don't jump.

Turkey fly - as do the local deer (seemingly) so those I simply accept.

But 4" off the ground was high as I could put my lowest hot line without having my chickens walk out right under it. Their feathers are surprisingly good insulators. The comb is not. Unfortunately, many of my birds have pea combs, and have learned to limbo, quite effectively.

Back
Top Bottom