Need a hug, take a hug.

Pics
I think I am older than anybody here. From what I can tell I was depressed, filled with anxiety,
phobias etc. I do know(remember) bad experiences with a neighbor at the end of the street. I was 5 year old or so. I told my parents -my mother wanted nothing to do with it. My father said on one hand to forget about it, and on the other that his relative a lawyer said Not to have me testify in court.

The man also did tv repair and despite what I told my father, he had him come into the house to fix our TV. I tried to hide behind a chair but HE saw me. He was grinning at me. What he didn't know was- I was shy and didn't talk to strangers But was very capable of speaking and being understood.I thought my father invited him in deliberately to see me.

That among other things left me very much afraid of men - even of high school males. Had a chance to date but always turned them down. I was afraid of what they would do to me.

At 34 I started seeing a psychiatrist ,and continued with his partner, after he passed away from pancreatitis. Saw his partner for a few years until he died of complications of his treatment for Lymphoma.

After years of trying different medications only one worked for me. In fact of all the other patients put on that med, only I did well on it.

Long, long story-shortened - met a man two years younger than I. He was married, so he was scratched off the list. Two years later he was divorced and asking my friend about me. She told him I was still single. She told me he asked about me all the time . I doubted that.

Anyway I was told I could attend free group therapy from about noon to 2 pm. and the hospital would even provide free cab service. The cab driver ended up being the Same Man I met some time before.

Cabby didn't want me taking my meds because his ex wife had taken meds for her BiPolar disorder /schizoid affective (sorry too hard to spell) and gained 70 lbs. I told him if I don't take meds the doctor will want me to have ECT treatments (electro-convulsive therapy)

I had a number of treatments with no success, so they changed from uni polar treatments to both sides of the brain. No one told me they could lead to memory loss, and other
unpleasant after affects down the road. It is what it is.

I'm off the meds, Backyard Chickens fills my days with friendship and friends I don't have around home. It gives me purpose. I feel the best I have in many years.

I'm not the least bit uncomfortable talking about meds, treatments, psychiatrists, etc. If someone wants to know more about it. I won't mention the med I was on because it doesn't help everyone. I can say meds and exercise made a big difference. I used to walk
amazing distances just because "I could." But, both got me out of my rut. I am happy to be ALIVE . Old age is the reward for living. It's not some monster hiding in the closet.
First...I had no idea that you think you are Older than the rest of us? But, I am VERY glad the BYC can help in any way..and seemingly every way it has. I Suffered with depression a few times throughout my issues, and it takes hard work and dedication to climb out of tha5 deep hole that seems like it never ends, to ge5 back into reality...I’m glad you are do8ng better. Exercise is a wonderful thing for everyone!! It makes every part of a person feel better..and your mind feel better about yourself because you have done something good for yourself. I say..great job..if I can EVER give you a boost..just give me a PM, I tend to be a positive thinker, and I have been through a lot, so..it’s not all fluff and candy canes. I’m glad you were able to share...if it helps you, then it helps up to know you!! :). We luv ya!

Update on my DMV visit: I caught a bad cold, after leaving the building. I have been coughing and sneezing since Thursday. Been missing out on many weekend church functions.
I don't want to make anyone else sick. So I stayed home.:sick:confused:
I hope you feel better soon. :hugs

Hi everybody! :frow

What a great idea for a thread!! Definitely much needed. There can definitely be a lot of negativity and drama on this site sometimes, and seems like even more so especially lately, so it’s nice to see a place that isn’t. :love And besides, who doesn’t need a hug every once in a while? :hugs Love it. :love

Also, reading everyone’s stories has been so inspiring. :love :hugs

I won’t go into mine too much, at least not now, but I’ve dealt with depression and anxiety too, as well as OCD, and they’re all horrible and I wouldn’t wish them on anyone.

Mine kinda seem to almost come and go in waves or whatever. It’s always kinda there but sometimes it’s worse. Lately it’s definitely been worse and last year was pretty hard for various reasons. I mean, there were definitely some good points also some bad ones including a few depressive episodes which sucks cause I’m not used to it cause I was doing really well for year or so I thought.

I’m not really sure what happened but I think it’s a combination of several things.

Anyway, I’ve definitely been in a bit of a funk for a little while now and kinda hazy but I’m finally seeing a therapist tomorrow after months of putting it off (technically years if we’re being honest ha) so I’m hoping they can help. I made my dad call this past week because I’ve been putting it off far too long and I knew I’d never go if someone didn’t make the appointment for me.

I’m excited but also terrified at the same time. I’ve put it off so long that the fact that it’s finally actually real and happening is a bit intimidating.

But I think it will be for the best.

And the therapist seems nice so I guess that’s a plus.

Back
Top Bottom