Need a simple plan please

greginshasta

Songster
13 Years
Jul 26, 2007
Mount Shasta, CA
I feel like a broken record, as I have knocked around this topic in other posts, but here I go again. Now that the Buckaroo coop is not going to happen, I need to come up with a solution for the coming winter. Sigh...

I have made my way through most of the old posts and bookmarked several cute, yet fairly complex coop designs. Next spring I will likely build something based on those, but for the moment I could use an idea for a temporary structure to get us through the winter.

Has anyone bookmarked any posts showing photos of simple coops that would be suitable for 10 birds which I might create as a temporary structure until next year?

I really am not eager to do the bale house because it is my sense that a structure large enough to house 10 birds and to get inside and clean the place, collect eggs, etc. would become a lot of bales to stack, awkward to seal with any sort of windows and door, and a mess of junk bales to get rid of next year. I really don't want to go there...

I found myself reading this post last night - How flexible is the coop sq. footage per bird?

With that in mind, if I provide adequate roosting, is a 4x8 coop going to be a huge mistake? Even though it might turn out to be a longer-term solution than the next 6 months, this coop seems like it could be built in a day or two. They built it at 6x4x6, but I would make it 8' long.

Any other ideas for something that would go up quick and easy, as opposed to the lovely sheds and clever solutions that can be done with more time than I feel I have at the moment?

Thanks so much. I appreciate everyone's input.

(BTW, we do get snow - potentially lots of it - and freezing temps.)

Oh, and I have obviously looked at the coops section, and we have a copy of the (reasonably disappointing) 45 chicken coop plans book.

Last edited:
Ok. You asked for it so now you're going to get it. My opinion....

Yes, you can easily slap something together with your extra plywood that will get you through the winter.

As to whether it is 4x8 will be big enough for 10 birds depends on how big your birds are and how much time they will spend outside. I currently have 23 EE's & BR's in an 8x8 coop with no problems. They have 3 4' roosts and a 10 hole nesting unit and they free range. They have a large run + under the coop where I leave them locked in if I can't be home, but most days they range. All with no problems. Now if you have reeeally big birds and they are in most of the time then, no, I don't think it would work. But if they at least have a big outside run for during the day they should be fine.

In my opinion.

lau.gif

Don't really have a plan for you but if it's really temp, I say just make a good square frame out of 2x4's, give it walls of plywood, and a slanted roof. Cover any holes with wire and put on a human sized door. Attach some roosts and if they are gong to lay, toss in a few milk crates for the winter. Hope you can find something that works out for you!

I would do a quick 4x8 no frills coop, make it 8feet one side, 6 feet other side and put on a sloped roof, it will give you enough room, provided they usually get out each day, to save floor space you could even have nestign boxes jut outside of coop. Put up a couple of roost and you are good to go. May not be the fanciest but it will work, think they call them saltbox sheds. a 4x8 design cuts as much waste as possible 1 sheet flooring, 6 sheets for siding Make door out of sideing on a 2x4(or3) frame, 2 sheets for roof around 35 2x4 or 2x3 depending what your preference is.

Quote:
Quote:
Common to both of your replies, it seems that you are suggesting a tall structure.

If I were going to conserve materials and time by building something that doesn't accomodate a large door, instead simply hinging an access panel for cleaning, etc.?

Is there a rule of thumb as to how tall it really needs to be? Just as this one is on posts, and not that tall - if I created an external framework with 4' sides - and 8' wide by 4' deep, is that going to be too crowded?

Last edited:
Quote:
I thought you wanted something that YOU could get insied and clean, I would think 6 foot would be the short side, but if you want to get in on hand and knees, or just rake/hoe it to clean it out you could definatly get away with a 5 ft on one side and 3 feet on other, and still have same effect, roofwise, your birds wont be doing much flying in the coop anyway.

Last edited:
As long as your birds can get up off the floor to roost and have plenty of room to stand up on their roost (including room for a roo to stretch and crow) without them rubbing their combs on the ceiling, then that's the bare minimum for height.

Mine do just fine with a side-door instead of a walk-in door. Just so you can reach them if you need to and be able to clean.

Quote:
I thought you wanted something that YOU could get insied and clean, I would think 6 foot would be the short side, but if you want to get in on hand and knees, or just rake/hoe it to clean it out you could definatly get away with a 5 ft on one side and 3 feet on other, and still have same effect, roofwise, your birds wont be doing much flying in the coop anyway.

Well, if I can get in via the side with a rake that's sufficient for now. Tweety and I have an ongoing debate about the merits of a bale shed and some had made some recommendations. I guess I was just muttering here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom