Need a thermostat for coop during winter

RPlourde

Hatching
7 Years
May 28, 2012
Edmundston, NB
Hi,

I have hardy chicken breeds. This winter, I plan to set up a heating water dispenser. I do not plan on heating the coop but I would like to add a thermostat that would light a heat lamp is the temperature gets below zero (F).

I have been looking the Net over and can't seem to find anything.

Thanks for your help!

Richard

Any line voltage thermostat would work to light a heat lamp. Just break the power wire on the way to the plug with the thermostat. I say any, but I wouldn't use an electronic thermostat. The Electronic thermostats tend to click on and off rapidly to keep the temperature of the room more consistant, but blinking on and off would not be for your heat lamp.

Your other choice, and perhaps the better and easier one would be to buy one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovato...504141&sr=8-7&keywords=heated+chicken+waterer

I am an electrican if that matters to you.

Dear Minister Man,

Tnx for your help! I had seen those thermostats but thought the "on at 0" was in Celcius. This is just what I need.

Tnx again,

Richard

well, maybe I wasn't as helpful as I thought. I didn't notice that you didn't want to turn the light on until 0 (F), which is about -17 or -18. I think the thermostat I listed is in Celsuis, so it would come on at freezing. I don't know right off of any thermostat that would go that low, unless maybe a thermostat for a walk in cooler, but then you are talking big money. If I think of something else, I will let you know.

I believe the temps given are Fahrenheit temps. I went to the link which is for a 35 On/45 Off and the product description specifically says it is 35 F and 45 F.

There are 5 different temp ranges for on/off. 0/10, 20/30, 35/45, 78/70 and 120/100

I especially thank you for posting this link. I didn't know there was such a thing and it certainly solves my problem (I think). I have one question for minister man (hope I'm not hijacking your thread, but it may be pertinent to you). One of the complaints I saw on this product was that it did not fit well into the covered outside receptacles, as it was a little too wide. Since I would be running a HD extension cord (one of those big heavy orange ones) from my receptacle to the coop, then to some kind of heated water bowl, would it be safe/would it work to plug this into the extension cord between the extension cord and the bowl, or would it HAVE to plug into the outlet between the outlet and the extension cord.

Or, would it just not be safe with an extension cord.

ETA: DUH, and I overlooked the fact that the OP didn't want it to come on til 0 degrees. Thought he wanted it to come on at freezing.

Last edited:
It wouldn't matter where you plugged it in at, But if you plugged it into an extension cord, there would have to be some way to make sure it wasn't laying on the floor, and that it couldn't fall into a pail of water. I don't know how long a cord you need to get to your chicken house. If it is very long then voltage drop would be come a problem. But if it isn't too far, then a cord would probably work.

If I wanted the thermostat for a waterer and not a light that is not what I would buy. I would buy a heated dog bowl, and they come with a thermostat in them, to keep them from freezing.

Use a Thermo Cube. On at 35 degrees and off at 45. They are about $11. I've used one for 2 winters and had never had frozen water. Google it or look at your local farm store.

It wouldn't matter where you plugged it in at, But if you plugged it into an extension cord, there would have to be some way to make sure it wasn't laying on the floor, and that it couldn't fall into a pail of water. I don't know how long a cord you need to get to your chicken house. If it is very long then voltage drop would be come a problem. But if it isn't too far, then a cord would probably work.

If I wanted the thermostat for a waterer and not a light that is not what I would buy. I would buy a heated dog bowl, and they come with a thermostat in them, to keep them from freezing.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom