NEED ADVICE! Have chickens but no coop. Lookimg for affordable options

Pics

Kingnyro

In the Brooder
May 2, 2020
My gf and I currently have 14 chicks. We are getting another 30 next week via delivery. We have probably 4 weeks before we have to move the chickens out. Due to the layout of my back yard I am wanting to have a 20x20x8 run/coop. We are utilizing our shed for this, but the materials to build a run is approximately the same as building one(including my time). I am here asking for tips to minimize my expense cause I am a frugal guy, and want to save my money for more chickens. I am also looking for affordable, pre-built options as well. Many thanks in advance.

If you have the coop issue taken care of with the shed already then your halfway there. With ten or so t posts and welded 4x5 welded wire a run is pretty simple to make expecially if you dont have a preditor problem. I have about 4 pieces of the fencing at 50' each and have a large run area for them. I don't have ground preditors and only have to worry about hawks. I'll be extending mine with another section of 50' welded wire in the next week or so. I only have 17 hens now but they have plenty of room as I had to stop their free range after a recent stray dog pack tore up one of them. The wire was around 40 dollars a roll of 50 foot and I'm not sure what t posts go for now as I have a bunch laying around from my pasture.
Edit: a quality prefab coop will be very expensive and the little ones at the farm supplies will fall apart and or warp within a couple season with the cheap wood they use.

We built our coop and run by ourselves - we used left over building supplies from our garage/house remodel, free reclaimed barn wood from a local farmer, and an insane number of free pallets. The only real expenses we had were the hardware cloth (we had to bury and cover our run due to the amount of predator's around here) and about $50-75 in screws/washers/PVC piping for feeders/waterers. It took a bit more time due to having to breakdown the pallets but in the end, was much cheaper than buying a pre-fab and turned out to be exactly what we wanted/needed.

Buy a plastic shed for a coop ad build a run in front of it, in a plastic shed you only need roost bars and a little small door for a pop hole
Plastic doesnt rot and less likely to get mites
Don't use chicken wire, it doesn't stop predators

I only a quality prefab coop will be very expensive and the little ones at the farm supplies will fall apart and or warp within a couple season with the cheap wood they use.
[/QUOTE]
Thats the issue I have. My gf isn't as handy as I am with building, and I don't have the free time to build/fabricate my own. I looked and quality ones were like 2k for the size I want/need.

I am lucky enough to have not to many predator concerns besides large birds and stray cats (for when they are smaller). The more I look at prefab ones the more I am like "f*** it imma build it". Just need the time that I don't have atm lol

To me it sounds like you have 2 options.....
---find the time to convert your shed...
----or, open your wallet.

Now, there is a chance to MAYBE find one on craigslist, or at least the supplies to build one from there. Ask around in the feed mills and see if someones taking down some outbuildings... if you help, or will at least clean it up, they will usually give you the things you need. The good news is, with a secure coop and run, roost for their fluffy butts, a nest box or 5... (you are going to have quite a few birds), food and water.... you WILL have the summer to complete the shed. Winter is a while away, and as long as they are secure... time to complete will be probable.

Back
Top Bottom