Need advice on Mareks

lljmitchell1029

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2022
My sweet bantam chick, scarlet, seems to have mareks. She became unable to walk about the weeks ago. She is still eating, drinking and pooping. I’ve given her poultry cell and electrolytes as well as good food. I know most would say cull, but I can’t. I’m attached to her and if she isn’t giving up, neither will I. I can’t afford to go to a vet. I’ve read that acyclovir could possibly help as it is prescribed for herpes patients. My daughter gets fever blisters and has this medication. Does anyone know the proper dosage for a chicken? How long do I give out to her? Any advice would be appreciated.

I would like to add that her symptoms also seem to match that of mycotoxin poisoning. Head tremors every once in awhile. Mareks mentioned gray pupils and blindness which she doesn’t have. The leg that is stiff she was able to flex foot forward and flat instead of curled once last night. First time since she became unable to move three weeks ago. I’ve had to cull three in the last few years due to mareks and them refusing to eat or drink and becoming increasingly sick. This is not the case with scarlet.

I would like to add that her symptoms also seem to match that of mycotoxin poisoning. Head tremors every once in awhile. Mareks mentioned gray pupils and blindness which she doesn’t have. The leg that is stiff she was able to flex foot forward and flat instead of curled once last night. First time since she became unable to move three weeks ago. I’ve had to cull three in the last few years due to mareks and them refusing to eat or drink and becoming increasingly sick. This is not the case with scarlet.
http://www.poultrydvm.com

My sweet bantam chick, scarlet, seems to have mareks. She became unable to walk about the weeks ago. She is still eating, drinking and pooping. I’ve given her poultry cell and electrolytes as well as good food. I know most would say cull, but I can’t. I’m attached to her and if she isn’t giving up, neither will I. I can’t afford to go to a vet. I’ve read that acyclovir could possibly help as it is prescribed for herpes patients. My daughter gets fever blisters and has this medication. Does anyone know the proper dosage for a chicken? How long do I give out to her? Any advice would be appreciated.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3039621

Back
Top Bottom