Need advice on my chicken coop!

The Chicken Fan

Chirping
May 26, 2015
Oregon
My chickens have been living in their coop for 3-4 months now, and it's really starting to smell. Any pointers on what to use to make it smell better? Thanks!

My chickens have been living in their coop for 3-4 months now, and it's really starting to smell. Any pointers on what to use to make it smell better? Thanks!
Pics of your coop...
...and what kind of bedding you are using....
.........and how are you managing the poops would help us help you.

Oh and adding your location to your profile so we know the climate will help too.

We hung a tarp under our roost to catch the poopy and scoop it daily. It has made a world of difference. Instead of cleaning the entire coop out every Sunday I just take the tarp out and hose it off and let it dry. I can't believe I didn't do it sooner.

I clean the coop every other day. I don't use bedding. I have linoleum on the floor and I scrape it. It's a lot easier then having to mess with the bedding. Plus my girls could care less. I live on the West Coast and it's been super duper dry lately. Could I just wipe it down with some lysol wipes?

Maybe a sand/PDZ bedding would work for you, you scoop the poops out every few day like a cat box.
The PDZ absorbs ammonia.

Lysol fumes could be unhealthy for the birds.

Maybe a sand/PDZ bedding would work for you, you scoop the poops out every few day like a cat box.
The PDZ absorbs ammonia.

Lysol fumes could be unhealthy for the birds.
Okay. But for right now do you know of any cleaning substance that wouldn't be unhealthy for my girls?

What if I let it air for a couple of hours after cleaning?

Sand works great. Takes 5 min a day to scoop it off pop boards and scoop it out Of the run. What creates smell I noticed is wet poop. If someone has a waterer and the water is spilling or if They hose down the area too much and it isn't able To dry up it causes a musky smell. I went to a ladies house recently and she had her run on pavers. The smell was horrendous! There was poop water everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom