Need advice with scissor beak chick

augiedranch

Songster
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
Hi!
I have waited 4 years to have chickens again. As I got married and was living where I couldn't keep chickens. However, we moved 4 months ago to a 50 acre ranch and I have been begging hubby for chicks..
He got orders from the Air Force and will be gone a while and surprised me with baby chicks!
These kiddos mean the world to me, especially right now as they keep me company. I noticed three days ago that one of my EE developed a scissor beak.. ( she's 4 weeks old). I have tube fed her three times a day since then, give soggy food , deep dish etc but I notice her crop is kinda full at the evening time and only the evening time..? I'm hoping this means she's getting some food on her own, but when I watch her eat I can't tell if she's getting anything ... I have a exotic vet, but I know what he'll say... The C word;(. I just don't know if she's eating on her own and I don't know what to do .. Don't worry, I'm not planning on ever breeding her etc. I just want her alive .. But not have a bad quality of life or suffer. ;(. Any suggestions?

HI im sorry to hear this. we had an EE chick that was about 3 weeks old and had scissor beak. she would eat and drink but wasn't really getting any food down. Im sorry to say this but the best thing you can do for her at the moment is CULL her. Im so sorry.
hit.gif

Thank you for the response. So, did yours act like she was eating etc but not getting enough nutrition? I just wanted to give her a chance if for some reason she was eating enough on her own.. But I cannot tell if her crop is full because I fed her or not... ( even when I fed her 3 hours earlier).
I guess I'll take her to the vet tomorrow.. I wouldn't be able to do the culling myself ... ;(
Ugh this is so sad ;(. Why on earth do they deserve this problem and why does it show up after you're far attached to them !!!;(

Back
Top Bottom