Need an emotional support chicken for my chicken.

JavaFrannyEaster

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2019
Yes, that's right. That is a silly title but it's essentially what I'm looking for right now.

I have three chickens right now. Two are independent sex-links (Java and Franny) and one is a cuddly Easter Egger (Easter).

Sadly, Easter's temperament is the problem we're having at the moment. We absolutely adore it when she wants to snuggle with us! Java and Franny, on the other hand, do not appreciate it quite as much.

Java and Franny are not terribly aggressive for the most part. They'll tolerate when they're being picked up and handled and don't peck at people. But they're also not much for cuddling and much rather have some space when they're out and about. Easter, on the other hand, feels the need to cuddle a LOT. This means when she's outside she's always huddled up against Franny or Java, even for a simple dust-bath.

Needless to say, the ladies don't appreciate this clinginess and let her know. Unfortunately, this has caused some aggression that lead to a bald spot on just above Easter's tail and a wound. Since chickens are naturally attracted to blood, this created a serious wound before we were able to get her separated.

Poor Easter is currently in quarantine until the wound is healed. We've tried to stop this before by separating Java, who would be the most aggressive in her attempts to tell Easter to 'back off', but the quarantining only seemed to make her more aggressive towards the others to re-establish her as the head of the pecking order (Even though she's technically the youngest and Easter is the oldest by a week).

There's plenty of food and water about, we've set up separate watering and feeding areas and they have plenty of access to free-range time, though with the weather being the way it is we tend to bring the chickens inside at night where they're set up in a large area to roost.

Easter doesn't seem to be after anything other than cuddling. We're hoping that if we can introduce another chicken with the same temperament as her that after the quarantine period is over and the pecking order has been re-established she will choose to cuddle with a chicken that accepts this need to huddle up.

We do have a few problems, though.

1. We can only introduce one new chicken, as we need to keep the numbers low for the feed-bill.
2. Unfortunately we have to start out with chicks. Which means keeping the chick quarantined until it's big enough to be safely introduced.
3. This one is the biggie: We live on the edge of a town (Killeen, tx) but there's a 'no-roosters' ordinance in my area. Chick sexing is pretty great at a 90% accuracy but there's still that 10% chance that they'll be a rooster. We had started out with 4 chicks but 1 ended up being a Rooster. We were VERY lucky a co-worker was willing to take Fluff in for us but that co-worker is moving and we don't know anyone else who would be willing to take in a rooster.

So now that all that is out of the way, here's the questions I'm hoping I can get help with:

1. What breed of chicken would be the most likely to accept all the cuddling that Easter needs?

2. Does anyone know any places around the Killeen area that would accept roosters due to this city ordinance? This could even be extended to the Austin and Bastrop area. I'm just worried about raising this baby only for it to end up on someone's dinner plate.

Truthfully, you cannot make a friend for your bird, I would expect that she will be the victim with the new bird too. Separating her, will make it worse, but keeping her with the others, not a great situation. She might be the bird you need to let go, and then get a new pair.

Some birds, just do not fit the set up. And it makes it miserable trying to force it.

Mrs K

I find that 3 is an odd number for a flock. They seem to like to work in minimum groups of 2. With 3 one of mine has always been pushed away. Another hen to make 2 groups of 2 might actually solve this problem. I would reccomend an orpington but I would look for a mature one. I wouldn't wait for a chick and I would also be assured of a hen that way.

The title of this thread cracked me up....
..reminded me of when I got second dog because
'my companion animal needed a companion animal'.
Luckily they clicked right away....not so much when I did it again years later.

Hmm. If you can get only one chick, and it has to be a female, maybe another sexlink? I do think she has the personality to be able to bond to a youngster this way, though. She does seem to be the foster mama type, I had an EE who did the same thing once!

You are making this way too complicated. You have 3 chickens in a 2+1 situation. But rather than this 2+1=3, it is in fact a negative situation.

So, either rehome the 1 (Easter), or the other 2 (and keep Easter).

Rehoming the other 2 might be easier all around. They have each other and integration might be easier for them in a new flock.

You can buy new chicks, and Easter will be the mature girl, she can properly heal, and be the teacher of chicken ways for the new chicks (not that she would be a momma hen, as she is not broody).

In fact, why not buy a few more chicks than you want in the end? First, you can end up keeping your favorites, with personalities you prefer. Second, the place that took your other two might be happy to take a couple young ones too (just ask in advance). But females are fairly easy to rehome.

I know some hatcheries guarantee sexing accuracy (for example Meyer), so something to look into.

We rehomed 3 dark brown Leghorns bc they didn’t fit our flock. The main male HATED them too, and pecked and chased them often. So, it was a good decision for us to rehome them all together to a different flock.

Glad you found a chick. I sure hope it is for sure a girl.

I've found that the younger the chick the easier it is to introduce it to adult birds. Chicks aren't a threat so they generally don't go after them. But the chick does need a place to hide where the big chickens can't get it. I'd suggest trying to start introducing the chick to Easter as soon as the quarantine is done. It will also be better for the chick to have a feathered buddy sooner rather than latter. Good luck!!

Thank you for the heads up! And yeah, me, too. But this is also one of the main people at the store that the managers use to help sort chicks when they come in, plus she was able to see them as they hatch. So hopefully all works out and she's a hen.

We'll definitely introduce her when the other two are outside. There's lots of places to hide where Easter is kept and we won't be leaving her alone with Easter for the first few days. As soon as the quarantine period is over we fully plan on introducing them.

Thank you again for all the good wishes! =D

Back
Top Bottom