Need chick help!

Shenanigans80

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 23, 2013
Grays Harbor County
This is only my second hatch and so far so good. I had a chick hatch today with something wrong with its navel. I have not had to deal with this yet and need to know what to do. Thanks in advance!

First of all, by now is it still the same way, or has the navel closed up? To me it looks normal. After the chick hatches, the navel will look like that until the swelling starts, and it will close up the hole. Just let me know how things go.Make sure the other chicks aren't picking at it because they could eat out the intestines. They need to stay in an incubator until they are dry, and the navel will close by then usually. This chicks looks wet still. Keep me updated!

The swelling has gone down and looks normal now. It just worried me because none of the other chicks had this. The top of the chick was dry, that why I took it out. It felt funny in my hand (because of the swelling) and when I turned it over, thats what I saw. Its bottom was still damp so I did put it back in the incubator. Im still so new to this every thing worries me! :/

Its ok to worry. If I have any problems, I ask too. I have been incubating my hens' eggs for a few years now in my cheap little incubator, and have just about seen everything. Total, I have hatched over 100 chicks, though not a lot compared to others. My favorite part about new babies is the squishy belly. It is so warm.
yippiechickie.gif
I hope you enjoy your babies.

Thank you! I will enjoy them! The first time I hatched my hens' eggs. This time around I put in some from my hens, got some from auction and got some from a friend. I have no idea really what I am getting!

Back
Top Bottom