Need Chicken Love Advice

Probably would be easier to find someone looking to rehome a good tempered male and some females
For sure, I’ve done it twice with roosters. The thing is that one had neurological issues and was too nervous to eat. Then the other didn’t trust me, so I couldn’t protect the little guy from his demise. I’m just raising chicks so that I know their genetics and will let me guide them into the coop at night. I get what you mean though

I’ve got a hen in need of some loving. I tried a rooster health issues that absolutely loved her. He followed her everywhere and was the only guy who knocked her up.

My plan is to grow the perfect boyfriend for my girl. I’ve arranged to get a male chick in a week. What should I do to make him nice to her, and like her?

I don’t have a flock, just one hen

Anyone wanna clarify, or am I just going to be subtly patronized by a chicken forum?

Sorry, I was tired and the level of anthropomorphism just ticked me off.

Hens don't 'need' 'loving' by cock/erels.
Hens also don't get 'knocked up', they will lay eggs whether they are fertilized or not.
Hens don't have 'boyfriends', perfect or not.
You can't 'make' a cock/erel 'be nice' to a hen.
Single hens need a flock, not a 'boyfriend'.
Better with other females rather than a cock/erel.

Wonders how long you have had this hen, what it eats, and where is it housed.

Last edited:
What happened to your other birds? I thought you had Silkies, too. You'll probably have a few roosters in that batch. How old are they now? Are they old enough to introduce them to your hen?

Hens also don't get 'knocked up', they will lay eggs whether they are fertilized or not.

I’m stunned that you didn’t see that “getting knocked up” or “growing my girl a boyfriend” wasn’t a joke. I can only assume you have trouble with social cues. Sorry you found offense in a blatantly playful post.

I’m stunned that you didn’t see that “getting knocked up” or “growing my girl a boyfriend” wasn’t a joke. I can only assume you have trouble with social cues. Sorry you found offense in a blatantly playful post.

*was a joke. Had to fix that real quick in case that offended you as well, sorry about that. Also, very fun surprise, she’s in a coop and eats chicken feed. I don’t know if my joke came across as her being put in a bib and fed lobster in her baby crib.

Whoa, hey now... Let's just all calm down. No need for anger here. I thought your original post came off as a bit... weird, talking about a single hen needing a boyfriend. Single hens need girlfriends first and foremost. I see now you meant it as a joke, but it's so hard to relay intent in text. @aart is super knowledgeable and is likely offering advice to someone who initially came across as a novice chicken owner.

Relax! It's all good, my friends!

Hi! It's Auntie, here. I'm trying to help...

I'll just say you really can't raise a good rooster. Some say that if you avoid coddling them it helps as they learn to respect you, but I have never heard or read anything you can do to make them better to your hens. Some suggest getting an older rooster or keeping super-hormonal cockerel separated from hens until the calm down.

Whoa, hey now... Let's just all calm down. No need for anger here. I thought your original post came off as a bit... weird, talking about a single hen needing a boyfriend. Single hens need girlfriends first and foremost. I see now you meant it as a joke, but it's so hard to relay intent in text. @aart is super knowledgeable and is likely offering advice to someone who initially came across as a novice chicken owner.

Relax! It's all good, my friends!
I have three female chicks. Not obsessed with having only a rooster. It was a joke I somehow deeply regret making.
Hi! It's Auntie, here. I'm trying to help...
Didn’t mean to make anyone worry with my response to that user. I was shocked at his rude comment based on a misconception. I’m not out to continue an argument though, so you don’t need to worry

Back
Top Bottom