Need Coop Plans

iBoodle

Songster
8 Years
May 10, 2011
Idaho
If anyone has plans (preferably free) for a hardy, winter-proof coop, please post them here! My coop will not stand up to our cold winters, and fall has set in early here!

OR if you have a link to a nice, warm coop for under $200.

Thanks!

Becca

How many chickens do you need to house?
Check out my page for a 3 hen backyard chicken coop. I live in Vermont and this is my first winter, but I expect it to do the trick!

you could check craigslist for a large wooden dog house? Just stack straw bales around it and that will give it lots of insulation. Otherwise the Small Coop section has great plans on there. They are easy to follow along since they have pictures and good descriptions. If you get stuck, everyone here is great about answering questions- you'll get a lot of opinions!
smile.png
Good luck!

This one has been holding up a couple decades without heat or electricity:

36435_snowstorm.jpg

Plans, what plans, I just built it out of my head and available materials.

I don't have plans for an all-weather coop (doesn't snow here) but you should look for something with double walls.

Having outer and inner walls gives you an insulating layer of air that helps keep the cold out, and if you think it will get really cold you can shove some of that cheap pink insulation they sell in rolls at Home Depot between the walls.

Thanks for all the replies! I actually found the perfect coop on craigslist for only $250! But it comes with two chickens and I don't want to have to quarantine them, so I am waiting for the guy to reply and tell me if he can do something with them. Ack! It's snowing! I hope he replies soon!

Becca

Back
Top Bottom