Kitkat1992

In the Brooder
May 24, 2023
  • 28 days incubation period
  • last 3 days have been lockdown
  • Made a safety hole this morning
  • Externally Pipped slightly by the safety hole
  • I assisted by chipping some of shell away to better understand what was going on
  • yolk is still being absorbed
  • Chirping
  • Beak motions still present (chewing)
I'm not sure as to what I need to be doing to help this little duckling successfully hatch. For now I'm letting it finish absorbing the yolk.

▪Once the yolk finishes, will i need to fully assist the rest of the way? Or will it be able to finish hatching by himself?

▪︎Should I put it in a plastic cup so it doesn't rupture the yolk? Or leave it be?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I attached photos on this post as well. Trying to get a video as well. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20240509_123947.jpg
    20240509_123947.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 17152750598515984589715440583350.jpg
    17152750598515984589715440583350.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 28 days incubation period
  • last 3 days have been lockdown
  • Made a safety hole this morning
  • Externally Pipped slightly by the safety hole
  • I assisted by chipping some of shell away to better understand what was going on
  • yolk is still being absorbed
  • Chirping
  • Beak motions still present (chewing)
I'm not sure as to what I need to be doing to help this little duckling successfully hatch. For now I'm letting it finish absorbing the yolk.

▪Once the yolk finishes, will i need to fully assist the rest of the way? Or will it be able to finish hatching by himself?

▪︎Should I put it in a plastic cup so it doesn't rupture the yolk? Or leave it be?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I attached photos on this post as well. Trying to get a video as well. Thank you.
@misslydia

wait for it to absorb the rest of the yolk and blood so it dose not bleed to death. This could take around 24 to 48 hours. Do not remove any of the shell until you know it’s not going to be able to get out. You can try putting a drop or two of water on his peak to keep it hydrated or painting the membrane with a soft paintbrush.

wait for it to absorb the rest of the yolk and blood so it dose not bleed to death. This could take around 24 to 48 hours. Do not remove any of the shell until you know it’s not going to be able to get out. You can try putting a drop or two of water on his peak to keep it hydrated or painting the membrane with a soft paintbrush.
Beak*

Back
Top Bottom