Need Help Diagnosing A Chicken Disease

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PlanterTomato, Aug 16, 2010.

1. PlanterTomato

PlanterTomato Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2010
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hi All:

I have a 2 year old hen that has been losing on her backside. Her exposed skin is extremely red. This has been going on for weeks and appears to be getting worse. She does not seem to be exhibit any other problems - still eating, not lethargic etc.

What is this and how do I treat it?

Thanks very much.

-Mark

2. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    Is she in with a rooster? If not it could be another feather pecking hen or possibly mites.

3. chickletranch

chickletranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    She's probably moulting. Our hens have every shade of backside, from pink to red-pink. Is it blood-red, or just deep pink? Any abrasions that you can see?

When our girls lose alot of feathers, we sometimes put a "chicken saddle" on them to prevent injury during mating. You can find them online.

All the best,
    Lynn

4. PlanterTomato

PlanterTomato Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2010
    Palo Alto, CA
    I don't have any roosters, so its not that.

I will look to see if there are any mites, but none of the other chickens seem to have this problem, so mites seems less likely.

Her backside is blood red.

Any further help is appreciated.

-Mark

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Sounds like you have a chicken picking her..
    Could be mite, lack of protein, or if you are feeding a feed that is low or has no animal protein in it a hen could be eating her feathers.....

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by