Need help/diagnosis please!

A negative fecal exam means nothing,as Coccidiosis does not always show up. I would treat her again for Coccidiosis as previous suggested.

Tylan is used mostly for gram positive upper respiratory infections, so you might want to try something like Baytril instead.

-Kathy

As Kethy mentioned, I also think that Baytril makes your sick hen may feel better if you don't have any clue... but something is going on your hen.

Last edited:
A negative fecal exam means nothing,as Coccidiosis does not always show up. I would treat her again for Coccidiosis as previous suggested.
I agree... If she were mine I would treat aggressively with amprolium, but I would also de-worm with Safeguard. The vet should have also done a gram stain to rule out a bacterial infection.

-Kathy

I have a 9 month old hen that always had a dirty vent area. Believe she had vent gleet… Last week it was so bad I gave her a bath, cut her feathers away from her vent, fed her chopped garlic hidden inside rolled bread balls, bread dipped in organic vinegar and 1 pill a day of Digestive Advantage for IBS (for humans bought over the counter at Walmart) I opened the capsules and hid the powder inside rolled bread balls. She's on her 4th day of treatment and she completely cured. Nice clean healthy looking vent & poop! Regardless what people might say about human Probiotics given to a chicken as far as I'm concerned it worked. There was also a study done in Spain that confirmed it does help.

Bottom line is, her digestive track appears be back in working order. Give it a try, good luck!

I have a 9 month old hen that always had a dirty vent area. Believe she had vent gleet… Last week it was so bad I gave her a bath, cut her feathers away from her vent, fed her chopped garlic hidden inside rolled bread balls, bread dipped in organic vinegar and 1 pill a day of Digestive Advantage for IBS (for humans bought over the counter at Walmart) I opened the capsules and hid the powder inside rolled bread balls. She's on her 4th day of treatment and she completely cured. Nice clean healthy looking vent & poop! Regardless what people might say about human Probiotics given to a chicken as far as I'm concerned it worked. There was also a study done in Spain that confirmed it does help.

Bottom line is, her digestive track appears be back in working order. Give it a try, good luck!

Very nice story! Thank you for sharing with us. I read about some home remedy for Coccidiosis, which a farmer give his chicks a couple of earthworms or Japanese green caterpillars a day for several days and they are cured all the time.. but he also feed them organic fermented food too.

Very interesting.

It's really is for vent gleet, which involves the digestive system of the chicken and vent area. Seeing how her bird's problem involves the digestive system, I figure it cannot hurt to give it a try. Thanks for your information as well.

Back
Top Bottom