Need help!!! First time preparing to build a coop!!!

aty1994

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 10, 2012
Hiiiii Everyone!!!! I am planning on making a coop but i dont know where to start!!!! I live in Puerto Rico so as you may know we have tropical weather here so I am in need of some suggestions to build a coop and an aporximated budget i should make plissss help!!!!! Looking forward for answers!!!

Hiiiii Everyone!!!! I am planning on making a coop but i dont know where to start!!!! I live in Puerto Rico so as you may know we have tropical weather here so I am in need of some suggestions to build a coop and an aporximated budget i should make plissss help!!!!! Looking forward for answers!!!
help pliss

Hi,
First, you need to determine how many chickens your are going to have. This will really help set the budget. Also, would you rather buy a ready-made coop, or do you want to build it yourself? If you are going to build it yourself, do you have access to any free building supplies - either from your own stash or someone else's?

I built my own and it was/is really fun (still in process - but the chickens are in it), and I used a crazy mix of repurposed things, free things, and things I bought new.

Hi,
First, you need to determine how many chickens your are going to have. This will really help set the budget. Also, would you rather buy a ready-made coop, or do you want to build it yourself? If you are going to build it yourself, do you have access to any free building supplies - either from your own stash or someone else's?

I built my own and it was/is really fun (still in process - but the chickens are in it), and I used a crazy mix of repurposed things, free things, and things I bought new.
Well i would like to build it myself!!!! I am planning to buy almost all the things new but i dont know where to start!!! I have a flock of about 18 adult birds and 11 chicks 6 of them newborns!!! I have seen many pics of different coops but really im lost heheheh!!! If you can pliss help me i would appreciatted!!!!! And plisss can you estimate the budget i will need??? I will looking forward for answere!!!! :)

A lot depends on what materials you have available and how big you want to go. I tried to use things laying around already or any kind of short cuts I could do. I attached my little coop to the side of my shed, so the shed become the back wall. I used the chain link fence just behind the shed as part of the run fence. I used 16 left over cememnt blocks to as a foundation for the rest of the run fence. I used wood screws instead of nails, nails will pull out. I installed gutter on my shed and it drains into a flower pot for water. I used left over wood for the egg boxes. All I can say is plan plan plan! Draw a plan and do lots of measuring and when you think you have it figured out measure again. Have fun!

A lot depends on what materials you have available and how big you want to go. I tried to use things laying around already or any kind of short cuts I could do. I attached my little coop to the side of my shed, so the shed become the back wall. I used the chain link fence just behind the shed as part of the run fence. I used 16 left over cememnt blocks to as a foundation for the rest of the run fence. I used wood screws instead of nails, nails will pull out. I installed gutter on my shed and it drains into a flower pot for water. I used left over wood for the egg boxes. All I can say is plan plan plan! Draw a plan and do lots of measuring and when you think you have it figured out measure again. Have fun!
Hahahahah athank you very much I will!!!!! Hope it turns out nice hehehehhe

Back
Top Bottom