Need help ID-ing eggs

MrsWard

Hatching
Feb 9, 2017
I need help!!

A friend donated 5 duck eggs to my class. We received a grant and purchased a class incubator. I prepped them all, and I've been doing well so far. Day 21 and seeing movement when I candle them. BUT....my friend just informed me that some of the eggs might be Muscovy eggs. I know their incubation times are different. How can I tell them apart for sure? Weight? Shell texture? I want to turn the rotation off and up the humidity soon, but I am afraid I will kill the Muscovy babies not ready to hatch. I'm so worried. Any advice?? I have another incubator, so I can separate them if I know how to tell them apart

Here's hoping someone has advice for this teacher. 16 seven year olds will be heartbroken :(

@Miss Lydia
I need help!!

A friend donated 5 duck eggs to my class. We received a grant and purchased a class incubator. I prepped them all, and I've been doing well so far. Day 21 and seeing movement when I candle them. BUT....my friend just informed me that some of the eggs might be Muscovy eggs. I know their incubation times are different. How can I tell them apart for sure? Weight? Shell texture? I want to turn the rotation off and up the humidity soon, but I am afraid I will kill the Muscovy babies not ready to hatch. I'm so worried. Any advice?? I have another incubator, so I can separate them if I know how to tell them apart

Here's hoping someone has advice for this teacher. 16 seven year olds will be heartbroken :(

My first thought is can you tell developmentally much difference? If the eggs seem to be progressing about the same, and it's only a chance that muscovies were included, then I'd go with the regular schedule.

Once it gets to the point of "lockdown" you should only see very little (if any) fluidy area just below the air cell.

Let's see if @Miss Lydia can tell us if there are any visual differences that may help. I don't raise muscovies.

@Miss Lydia
My first thought is can you tell developmentally much difference? If the eggs seem to be progressing about the same, and it's only a chance that muscovies were included, then I'd go with the regular schedule.

Once it gets to the point of "lockdown" you should only see very little (if any) fluidy area just below the air cell.

Let's see if @Miss Lydia can tell us if there are any visual differences that may help. I don't raise muscovies.
Not much difference in shell other than color Muscovys lay a cream color egg. I'd go with @WVduckchick advise.

@MrsWard

Thanks Miss Lydia! I think there should be enough obvious developmental difference to guess. An extra week, in basically the same size space would have to mean much slower growth.

MrsWard, if you increase the humidity on day 25 and some hatch on time and some don't, but you still see movement in the eggs, it still won't likely kill them, if they are Muscovies. You could always remove the water for a few days, then add it back for Muscovy timeframe.

Thank you all! Would the Mucovies be ok with no rotation during lockdown or should I do a quick quarter rotation daily? I really appreciate all the wonderful feedback.

Back
Top Bottom