Need help identifying this breed

Pics
Hmm.
That means nothing, really. At this age, even a pullet wouldn't have an ounce of mothering instinct in her.

as you do not know my chickens or have seen how they interact with any of my other birds.. I suggest you leave comments like that to yourself.... there’s also the way she moves how petiet her body structure is my own personal research.... while she doesn’t “sit” on the ducklings she does have a strong sense to protect them from the other chickens (and ducks).... her full size (as she is today) she fits in my hand.... and from doing my own research a rooster (or cockerel) would have much larger wattles and a very red comb.... not the rose pink of hers....

im taking her to the vets tomorow to get her sexed.... will update when I get home.

as you do not know my chickens or have seen how they interact with any of my other birds.. I suggest you leave comments like that to yourself.... there’s also the way she moves how petiet her body structure is my own personal research.... while she doesn’t “sit” on the ducklings she does have a strong sense to protect them from the other chickens (and ducks).... her full size (as she is today) she fits in my hand.... and from doing my own research a rooster (or cockerel) would have much larger wattles and a very red comb.... not the rose pink of hers....

im taking her to the vets tomorow to get her sexed.... will update when I get home.
Sounds good! Best of luck! I hope we are all wrong and you have yourself a pretty little lady!

I’ve had a few replies on my other forum and now I’m just confused.... one person even said that she was a transgender chicken...🤣🤣🤣🤣
You need to stick with us!!! We have very knowledgeable peeps on here.
Take the Boy/Cockerel back to where you bought him. Demand to get your money back then, find yourself a reputable breeder. If you aren't going to be able to keep him, get rid of him sooner than later.
Sorry about your Cockerel news and a breed you didn't want. But, welcome to world of BYC, the best forum with some VERY experienced peeps out there!

And on another note... if I’m asked a question please do not answer for me.... from my perspective it seemed to be a bit “talk behind my blackish”... sorry if I sound like a bi*ch, I just don’t like people talking like they know everything about me and my animals when really they don’t.
Don't be sore.
The peeps on BYC are only trying to help you in the identification of breed and to sex your chicken as you requested.
By the tone of your replies, we get your great disappointment of the betrayal your experiencing.
Most all of us have been there and have experienced what you are going through.
The good news is, Now you know the breed and the sex of your chicken.
Isn't it better you know than to wake up to the sound of crowing?
He is pretty and very friendly therefore, Be glad, not sad.

You need to stick with us!!! We have very knowledgeable peeps on here.
Take the Boy/Cockerel back to where you bought him. Demand to get your money back then, find yourself a reputable breeder. If you aren't going to be able to keep him, get rid of him sooner than later.
Sorry about your Cockerel news and a breed you didn't want. But, welcome to world of BYC, the best forum with some VERY experienced peeps out there!

as I said before I will take her to the vet tomorrow and get her vent sexed... will post findings tomorrow

and I will ”stick” wherever I feel comfortable... or Where ever I feel I get the best advice.... I started this thread to find out the breed not the sex...

I know you've been told this a good many times already, but he is indeed a cockerel.

Vent sexing is not a great idea, it can be risky unless done by an expert, and the majority of vets aren't experts on chickens.

You did start this to find the breed and not the sex. This is one of the great things about BYC.
If we know he's male, we're not going to shrug our shoulders and leave you to find out later.
BYC also has some of the most accurate sexers I've seen.

I'm sorry that they gave you extra information that you didn't want to hear. I hope you can sort things out with the seller.

NO bird will ever brood a chick at this age. I don’t care what breed they are, it is impossible.

Also, a pullet at this age would have comb and wattles that are almost nonexistent. He is a boy.

I wouldn't trust a vet that's willing to vent sex a chick of this age. Vent sexing is only possible within the first day after hatch.

Sexing chickens is what we do here all day, every day. He is not feminine at all. In fact he has a very course head. Like that of a cockerel. He also has male specific coloring and what I believe to be saddles coming in. Not all cockerels have giant wattles or combs. Especially rose combed breeds.

If he is as small as you say he is, and is 16 weeks old, you most likely have a failure to thrive chick as well. He looks more like 9 weeks.

We are just trying to save you the heartache that you're setting yourself up for. (And possibly money that you could spend on more chickens instead of sketchy vets. Because you can't have too many chickens. No such thing! 😜)

If that is a pullet, I will eat my proverbial hat and denounce Bantam Cochins. Update us in 3 weeks with photos showing the saddle area.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom