Need help identifying this breed

Pics
Why? I know that's what they look like, I said that too, it's the hackles that are confusing. Do you have pictures of your cockerels' hackles at this age that match this bird's? That's the only reason I'm speculating.
Well at this age hackles can really be any shape. I’ve seen all sorts of hackle shapes on my young cockerels.

Well at this age hackles can really be any shape. I’ve seen all sorts of hackle shapes on my young cockerels.
That's true, which is why I specifically mentioned Wyandottes, as I have experience with that breed (and this bird is at least part Wyandotte). All of my young cockerels had pointier hackles at this age...in fact I don't think they've ever had rounded ones quite like what's shown on this bird. I have some Wyandotte crosses that are 2 1/2 months right now...might go stare at them for a while to see if it's any different for them, since this is also a Wyandotte cross. Through luck of the draw, I think all of my Wyandotte crosses are boys so if nothing else I've got five individuals to compare to!
Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends

That's true, which is why I specifically mentioned Wyandottes, as I have experience with that breed (and this bird is at least part Wyandotte). All of my young cockerels had pointier hackles at this age...in fact I don't think they've ever had rounded ones quite like what's shown on this bird. I have some Wyandotte crosses that are 2 1/2 months right now...might go stare at them for a while to see if it's any different for them, since this is also a Wyandotte cross. Through luck of the draw, I think all of my Wyandotte crosses are boys so if nothing else I've got five individuals to compare to!
Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends
I’ve found from experience that it’s a lot more reliable to look at the saddles but it is harder to see both in the pics so I guess we’ll see. :)

Why? I know that's what they look like, I said that too, it's the hackles that are confusing. Do you have pictures of your cockerels' hackles at this age that match this bird's? That's the only reason I'm speculating.
The hackles could just be a result of the poor nutrition Audrey was previously receiving.

Last edited:
Don't get where the confusion is coming from.
It has male specific feathering. Why are we still disputing?
Because some other folks (not this forum) told OP the bird was a female.
And OP took the bird to a vet a while back, who pronounced it to be female.

And the bird hasn't crowed yet, or tried to mate with females, or laid an egg.

And it was malnourished when young, which may or may not have caused the chicken to grow strangely.

And it's very rare, but sometimes hens do grow male-specific feathering.

So even though it looks probably-male, it's not conclusively proven either way yet.

If it’s so confusing, why not do a DNA test?:confused:
To ask that of the OP after they've already spent who knows how much to take them to the vet is asking a lot--if they're happy waiting it out, we should be too. They're humoring us pretty far by continuing to supply us with updates so I for one am gonna be on my best and politest behavior!

Back
Top Bottom