Need help identifying this breed

Pics
This is Acorn, my Wyandotte mix cockerel.
He looks pretty similar. 🤨
20200818_124914(1).jpg

This is Acorn, my Wyandotte mix cockerel.
He looks pretty similar. 🤨View attachment 2541098
I'm guessing Brahma x Wyandotte, right? I have Cochin x Wyandottes right now. They've got Columbian patterning and very little lacing. That's one of the things about Au(b)drey that's confusing--they have lacing on their back and wings. Male Wyandottes do not, but it could be the Barnevelder...I have no experience with that cross.

I'm guessing Brahma x Wyandotte, right? I have Cochin x Wyandottes right now. They've got Columbian patterning and very little lacing. That's one of the things about Au(b)drey that's confusing--they have lacing on their back and wings. Male Wyandottes do not, but it could be the Barnevelder...I have no experience with that cross.
I’ve seen wyandotte cockerels with lacing on their backs and wings. It stays there until they grow in all their male-specific feathering.

Here’s a thread that may be interesting.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wyandottes-help-please.1436453/#post-23767513

If it’s so confusing, why not do a DNA test?:confused:
That is a good point, although I've read of at least one case where the DNA test was wrong, so I'm not sure how much that would help. If the situation is confusing, and a DNA test "might" be wrong, we'd just be back where we are right now.

I'm enjoying the progression of photos, and later we will all be able to look back on how this bird developed and see that it was "obvious" the whole time. Lots of things are obvious AFTER we know the answer :lau

Yep, Brahma X Wyandotte.

Yep, Brahma X Wyandotte.
Brahma crosses usually get feathered feet and a pea comb. Audrey has nice clean feet, and the comb looks like a normal rose comb, rather than the walnut comb that pea + rose would make.

Someone suggested Barnevelder x Wyandotte, which I think sounds reasonable. (That suggestion is buried somewhere in the previous 40 pages of thread, and I'm too lazy to go back and see who said it.)

Brahma crosses usually get feathered feet and a pea comb. Audrey has nice clean feet, and the comb looks like a normal rose comb, rather than the walnut comb that pea + rose would make.

Someone suggested Barnevelder x Wyandotte, which I think sounds reasonable. (That suggestion is buried somewhere in the previous 40 pages of thread, and I'm too lazy to go back and see who said it.)
I know that's not what Audrey is, I'm just saying that Acorn was indeed a male and he looks very similar to Audrey.

Back
Top Bottom