Need help, newbie with problems :) Missing feathers on back suddenly

chickolet

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 10, 2010
Well we have about (30) 3 week old chicks.. today I found about 6 or so that have missing feathers on the back and the appearance of slight blood??? I had 12 chicks last year and this never happened?? we are pretty new to raising babies.. i will attach a picture, any help would be appreciated.. it seems that all of them have it in the same spot, between the wings on the back..

Thanks!
chicken1.jpg

chicke2.jpg

chicken3.jpg

I bet you have one or more feather pluckers in your flock, that is where my hens will pluck feathers fro ecah other. If they draw blood, you need to remove that chick asap, isolate her or at least remove any blood, they will pick her to death if they see the red blood.

is this weird its just starting now?? will I be able to put them back together???

Feather picking has a few main causes.

It's too warm. What is the temperature where they are kept?

The brooder/cage is overcrowded. How many chicks do you have and what is the size container they have?

Lack of protein. What are you feeding them?

Or you have a bully that needs a time out.

We have 29 chicks.. they are actually 2 weeks and 2 days old.. 3 are bantams..

They are being kept in a large animal water bin.. and they are kept in the house which is 70* and using a single (red) heat lamp..
Not sure the exact temp.. they dont seem to be at the opposite end trying to get away from it... like their to hot

and we feed them the Purina Start and Grow

Last edited:
What are the dimensions of the bin?

Put a thermometer in the bottom to get a temperature.

I think you have a crowding problem. 29 chicks two weeks old need lots of room. Time for a bigger space before the pecking get out of control and nasty and they draw blood and peck at the skin.

Last edited:
Ok well I built a new brooder.. 8 ft x 6ft.. more than enough room, moved them to the basement, it certainly isnt to hot down there.. put them all back together yesterday and noticed today, the feather plucking has resumed!! UGH!
I have sat there and sat there and tried to see the culprit to no avail..

is it ok to leave the raw back ones together if there is no blood showing??? will this subside or is this a lifelong trait of some chickens?? feather plucking..

Is there anythign i can put on their backs to help heal and try to discourage it??

Thanks!

I had one like that. Someone on here told me to put Noxema around the part they are plucking, they don't like the taste and would stop. Thankfully mine stopped alone so I didn't have to but anyway that's what a seasoned member told me!

I would spray some BluKote on the bare areas- asap. Maybe try to seperate the bald chicks from the others for a few days.
Hopefully you'll be able to determine who the bully is. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom